Seasonic M12 SS-700HM (700W)
Seasonic is a recognized manufacturer of high-quality and quiet power supplies. I once reviewed the S12 SS-500HT model and was very pleased with it. Let’s see if the SS-700HM is as good as its predecessor.
The PSU has a black matte case. Its paint is powder-sprayed and durable. It’s hard to scratch it off to the metal even when you are installing the PSU into your system case.
A special feature of the M12 is the 60mm fan on its rear panel in addition to the main 120mm fan. The small fan is turned on only when the PSU temperature reaches a certain threshold value; it then blows at the power transformer and the heatsink with switching transistors. The hottest section – the heatsink with the output diode packs – is not in the way of the airflow from this fan, however, and the additional fan doesn’t help much in cooling it.
Besides that, there are connectors on the rear panel for the detachable cables of graphics cards and peripherals.
The internal design is typical of Seasonic. It is almost the same as in S12 series models except for the heatsinks. They used to have twice the amount of ribs, placed in two tiers. From an engineer’s point of view these are PSUs with a single-ended converter and active PFC.
I have no complaints about the quality of assembly, which is high.
The PSU has four “virtual” +12V lines with a maximum current of 56A which corresponds to 672W. In other words, the PSU can yield almost all of its total output power via the +12V rail.
It offers the following cables and connectors:
- Mainboard cable with a 20+4-pin connector (51cm)
- CPU cable with a 4-pin connector (51cm)
- CPU cable with an 8-pin connector (51cm)
- Two connectors for graphics card cables
- Five connectors for peripheral devices
Included with the PSU are:
- Graphics card cable with two 6-pin connectors (50+55cm; you may want to plug this cable into the PSU with the central connector and attach the other two connectors to your graphics cards)
- Two cables with two Molex connectors on each (53+15cm)
- Cable with two Molex connectors (45+15cm)
- Two cables with two SATA power connectors on each (55+15cm)
Each cable is sleeved in this PSU.