Seasonic SSR-550RM (G-550)
Package and Accessories
The packaging and accessories of this model are the same, so there’s no need to describe them again.
The only addition is related to the 550W model’s semi-modular design: there's a fabric pouch to store the unused power cables in.
We can spot only one external difference from the junior model: the connectors for modular cables. However, if the two PSUs are put next to each other, the 500W model turns out to be somewhat longer (160 instead of 140 mm).
There’s also a screw in the bottom panel the SSR-360GP doesn’t have.
The interior design is overall similar to the junior model’s. The SSR-550RM features active PFC and dedicated voltage regulation based on DC-DC converters.
The component layout is different, however, as is the main PCB.
Individual components are different, too, like the DC-DC converter card. It's no wonder since the power rails work at higher loads in this model.
As the PSU’s front panel is now populated by connectors for modular cables, the controller chips have moved to two small daughter cards.
One of them carries a PS223 supervisor. It is employed in numerous PSUs from different brands and price categories.
The other daughter card carries a half-bridge LLC converter Infineon ICE2HS01G together with a PFC controller 3PCS01.
As in the junior model, there’s a Hitachi AIC capacitor at the input and electrolytic capacitors from Rubycon elsewhere.
The output capacitors are made by United Chemi-Con.
Cables and Connectors
The SSR-550RM is equipped with the following cables and connectors:
- One mainboard cable with a 24-pin connector (54 cm)
- One CPU cable with a 4+4-pin connector (54 cm)
- Two connectors for graphics card cables
- Four connectors for peripheral power cables
Included with the PSU are:
- Two graphics card cables with one 6+2-pin connector on each (60 cm)
- One cable with three PATA power connectors (40+13+12 cm)
- One cable with two PATA power connectors (31+12 cm)
- One cable with four SATA power connectors (40+12+12+12 cm)
- One cable with two SATA power connectors (30+12 cm)
- One adapter from a PATA power connector to a floppy-drive plug (10 cm)
The selection of connectors is up to the PSU’s wattage but the CPU power cable is too short. It is the same length as in the junior model (the difference in our measurements is allowed for by the manufacturer: both PSUs have a CPU power cable which is 550 mm long with a tolerance of -15/+30 mm), but the SSR-550RM is more likely to be used in a large system case where the 550mm cable won't be long enough to be hidden behind the mainboard.