Testbed and Methods
We will compare the AMD A10-7850K APU with its predecessor as well as with comparably priced products from Intel. So besides the senior Kaveri model, we take the flagship Richland model A10-6800K and two Haswell-based processors: the fastest dual-core model Core i3-4340 and the junior quad-core model Core i5-4430. Take note that the A10-7850K is close to Intel’s quad-core products in price but we only expect it to be comparable to the dual-core Haswell in terms of performance.
When testing the graphics capabilities of the A10-7850K, we had to use discrete graphics cards. These were Radeon R7 240 and Radeon R7 250 cards with DDR3 and GDDR5 memory from ASUS and Gigabyte.
So here is the full list of the hardware and software components we’re using for today’s test session.
- AMD A10-7850K (Kaveri, 4 cores, 3.7-4.0 GHz, 2x2MB L2)
- AMD A10-6800K (Richland, 4 cores, 4.1-4.4 GHz, 2x2MB L2)
- Intel Core i5-4430 (Haswell, 4 cores, 3.0-3.2 GHz, 4x256KB L2, 6MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-4340 (Haswell, 2 cores + HT, 3.6 GHz, 2x256KB L2, 4MB L3)
- CPU cooler: NZXT Havik 140
- ASUS A88X-PRO (Socket FM2+, AMD A88X)
- Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (LGA1150, Intel Z87)
- System memory: 2x8GB G.Skill [TridentX] F3-2133C9D-16GTX DDR3-2133 SDRAM (9-11-11-31)
- Graphics cards:
- ASUS R7250-1GD5 (Radeon R7 250, 1 GB/128-bit GDDR5, 1000-1050/4600 MHz)
- ASUS R7240-2GD3-L (Radeon R7 240, 2 GB/128-bit DDR3, 730-780/1800 MHz)
- Gigabyte GV-R725OC-2GI (Radeon R7 250, 2 GB/128-bit DDR3, 1000-1050/1800 MHz)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (3 GB/384-bit GDDR5, 863-902/6008 MHz)
- Storage: Intel SSD 520 240GB (SSDSC2CW240A3K5)
- Power supply: Corsair AX760i (80 Plus Platinum, 760 W)
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
- AMD Chipset Drivers 13.12
- AMD Catalyst 14.3 Beta 1 Driver
- Intel Chipset Driver 18.104.22.1687
- Intel HD Graphics Driver 22.214.171.124.3496
- Intel Management Engine Driver 126.96.36.1995
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology 188.8.131.521
- Nvidia GeForce 335.23 Driver
Take note that we benchmark traditional x86 performance with a discrete graphics card Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti. The integrated graphics cores are discussed and tested separately.