Testbed and Methods
The goal of this review is to compare the integrated graphics cores implemented in modern AMD and Intel processors in terms of their performance. That’s why we’re going to benchmark AMD’s Richland-based APUs with different versions of AMD’s integrated graphics and one Intel Haswell-based processor with HD Graphics 4600. Considering that these series of APUs and CPUs do not overlap much in terms of price categories, we’ve picked up the most expensive A10, A8 and A6 6000 series APUs and the cheapest Core i5 4000 series model.
We've also included processors with older graphics cores into our testing so that we could see how much progress has been made in this field. The entry-level discrete graphics cards Nvidia GeForce GT 640 and AMD Radeon HD 7750 are included for the sake of reference, too.
As a result, our testbeds were built with the following hardware and software components:
- AMD A10-6800K (Richland, 4 cores, 4.1-4.4 GHz, 4 MB L2, Radeon HD 8670D);
- AMD A8-6600K (Richland, 4 cores, 3.9-4.2 GHz, 4 MB L2, Radeon HD 8570D);
- AMD A6-6400K (Richland, 2 cores, 3.9-4.1 GHz, 1 MB L2, Radeon HD 8470D);
- AMD A10-5800K (Trinity, 4 cores, 3.8-4.2 GHz, 4 MB L2, Radeon HD 7660D);
- AMD A8-5600K (Trinity, 4 cores, 3.6-3.9 GHz, 4 MB L2, Radeon HD 7560D);
- AMD A6-5400K (Trinity, 2 cores, 3.6-3.8 GHz, 1 MB L2, Radeon HD 7540D);
- Intel Core i5-4430 (Haswell, 4 cores, 3.0-3.2 GHz, 6 MB L3, HD Graphics 4600);
- Intel Core i3-3240 (Ivy Bridge, 2 cores + HT, 3.4 GHz, 3 MB L3, HD Graphics 2500);
- Intel Core i3-3225 (Ivy Bridge, 2 cores + HT, 3.3 GHz, 3 MB L3, HD Graphics 4000).
- Processor cooler: NZXT Havik 140.
- ASUS Crosshair V Formula (Socket AM3+, AMD 990FX + SB950);
- ASUS F2A85-V Pro (Socket FM2, AMD A85);
- ASUS P8Z77-V LX (LGA1155, Intel Z77 Express);
- Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (LGA 1150, Intel Z87 Express).
- Graphics cards:
- Gigabyte GeForce GT 640 (GV-N640D3-2GI, 2 GB/128-bit DDR3, 900/1800 MHz);
- Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 (11202-13, 2 GB/128-bit DDR3, 800/1600 MHz).
- Memory: 2 x 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM (G.Skill [TridentX] F3-2133C9D-16GTX).
- Storage subsystem: Crucial m4 256 GB (CT256M4SSD2).
- Power supply unit: Corsair AX760i (80 Plus Platinum, 760 W).
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise x64.
- AMD Catalyst 13.6 Beta Driver;
- AMD Chipset Driver 13.4;
- Intel Chipset Driver 22.214.171.1247;
- Intel HD Graphics Driver 126.96.36.199.3165;
- Intel Management Engine Driver 188.8.131.525;
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology 184.108.40.2066;
- NVIDIA GeForce 320.49 Driver.
Here I would like to add that NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 and AMD Radeon HD 7750 were tested in a platform based on AMD A10-6800K processor.