Testbed and Methods
According to current positioning of the new processors, they do not have any direct competitors yet. AMD claims that Athlon II X4 should be considered as an alternative to the cheapest quad-core Intel CPUs from Core 2 Quad Q8000 series or as a competitor to dual-core Core 2 Duo E7000. However, at the same time Intel quad-core processors are more expensive and as for the dual-cores, it is not quite fair to compare them against quad-cores. Nevertheless, since we don’t have any other options, the new Athlon II X4 will be compared against these particular Intel solutions. Moreover, we also included dual-core, triple-core and quad-core AMD CPUs selling at prices comparable with those of the new Athlon II X4.
As a result, the list of hardware and software components used to build our test platforms included the following solutions:
- AMD Phenom II X4 925 (Deneb, 2.8 GHz, 4 x 512 KB L2, 6 MB L3);
- AMD Phenom II X3 720 (Heka, 2.8 GHz, 3 x 512 KB L2, 6 MB L3);
- AMD Phenom II X2 550 (Callisto, 3.1 GHz, 2 x 512 KB L2, 6 MB L3);
- AMD Phenom X4 9750 (Agena, 2.4 GHz, 4 x 512 KB L2, 2 MB L3);
- AMD Athlon II X4 630 (Propus, 2.8 GHz, 4 x 512 KB L2);
- AMD Athlon II X4 620 (Propus, 2.6 GHz, 4 x 512 KB L2);
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (Yorkfield, 2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 2 + 2 MB L2);
- Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (Wolfdale, 2.93 GHz, 1067 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2).
- ASUS P5Q Pro (LGA775, Intel P45 Express, DDR2 SDRAM);
- Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H (Socket AM2+, AMD 790GX + SB750, DDR2 SDRAM).
- Memory: 2 x 2 GB DDR2-800, 5-5-5-15 (GEIL GX24GB8500C5UDC).
- Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4890.
- HDD: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS.
- OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM.
- Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 126.96.36.1995;
- ATI Catalyst 9.8 Display Driver.