Testbed Configuration and Methodology
First of all we are going to compare the performance of the new LGA1155 Celeron processors with other products in the same price range. Among them are the old LGA775 Celeron processors and Socket AM3 Athlon II X2. Moreover, to keep the single-core Celeron some company on our diagrams, we also included another single-core processor, which is still around. It is a Socket AM3 Sempron. Besides, we also tested a few dual-core LGA1155 processors from different series in order to estimate how greatly the new Celeron CPUs yield to more expensive Sandy Bridge processors.
Moreover, we will perform a detailed comparison between the new Celeron G440 and two nettop platforms – AMD Brazos and Intel Pine Trail. Therefore, you will see mainboards with integrated AMD E-350 and Intel Atom D525 among the testbed hardware components.
As a result, the complete list of utilized hardware and software components looked as follows:
- AMD Athlon II X2 250 (Regor, 2 cores, 3.0 GHz, 2 MB L2);
- AMD Sempron 150 (Sargas, 1 core, 2.9 GHz, 1 MB L2);
- Intel Celeron E3500 (Wolfdale, 2 cores, 2.7 GHz, 1 MB L2);
- Intel Celeron G540 (Sandy Bridge, 2 cores, 2.5 GHz, 2 MB L3);
- Intel Celeron G440 (Sandy Bridge, 1 core, 1.6 GHz, 512 KB L3);
- Intel Core i3-2100 (Sandy Bridge, 2 cores, 3.1 GHz, 3 MB L3);
- Intel Pentium G850 (Sandy Bridge, 2 cores, 2.9 GHz, 3 MB L3);
- Intel Pentium G620 (Sandy Bridge, 2 cores, 2.6 GHz, 3 MB L3).
- ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (Socket AM3, AMD 890FX + SB850, DDR3 SDRAM);
- ASUS P5Q3 (LGA775, Intel P45 Express, DDR3 SDRAM);
- ASUS P8H61-I (LGA1155, Intel H61 Express);
- ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (LGA1155, Intel P67 Express);
- Gigabyte GA-D525TUD (Intel Atom D525, Intel NM10 Express);
- Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3 (AMD E-350, AMD Hudson M1).
- Memory — 2 x 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM (Kingston KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX):
- DDR3-800 5-5-5-15 with Atom D525 and Celeron E3500 processors;
- DDR3-1067 7-7-7-21 with AMD E-350 processor and in the integrated system with Celeron G440;
- DDR3-1600 9-9-9-27 in all other cases.
- Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 6970.
- Hard drive: Kingston SNVP325-S2/128GB.
- Power supply unit: Tagan TG880-U33II (880 W).
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64.
- Intel Chipset Driver 184.108.40.2060;
- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver 220.127.116.11.2361;
- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 Driver 18.104.22.168.64.2230;
- Intel Management Engine Driver 22.214.171.1245;
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.5.0.1027;
- AMD Catalyst 11.8 Display Driver.
The first standard part of our test session was performed in a universal testbed with an external graphics card. The second part of our tests where we compare Celeron G440 against nettop platforms, we utilized graphics cores integrated into processors.