So, we are going to see two miniature platforms with low power consumption come face to face with one another in our pretty unusual test session. They are AMD Brazos represented by Gigabyte E350N-USB3 and Intel platform represented by Zotac H67-ITX WiFi and Intel Core i3-2100T processor.
However, we didn’t leave our two main characters by themselves. Among the test results on the charts below you will also find performance numbers for other current Mini-ITX platforms, which may be considered energy-efficient with certain allowances. First of all it is ION2 with the latest Atom D525 processor and Asus AT5IONT-I mainboard. Second, it is a Mini-ITX LGA775 system based on Intel DG41AN using Celeron E3500 CPU. And finally, it is an LGA1156 system with a Pentium G6950 CPU and Zotac H55-ITX WiFi Mini-ITX mainboard. The LGA775 and LGA1156 processors were selected with intention to minimize their power appetites, so we picked the models from the junior series, which actual power consumption is significantly lower than that of all other models.
So, we ended up testing five Mini-ITX systems:
- ION2: Atom D525 processor (TDP – 13 W) with external NVIDIA GT218 graphics;
- Brazos: AMD E-350 processor (TDP – 18 W) with integrated AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics;
- LGA775: Celeron E3500 processor (TDP – 65 W) in a system with integrated Intel G41 chipset featuring Intel GMA X4500 graphics core;
- LGA1156: Pentium G6950 processor (TDP – 73 W) with integrated Intel HD Graphics;
- LGA1155: Core i3-2100T processor (TDP – 35 W) with integrated Intel HD Graphics 1000.
Below you find all the hardware and software components used to build our test platforms:
- Intel Celeron E3500 (Wolfdale, 2 cores, 2.7 GHz, 1 MB L2);
- Intel Core i3-2100T (Sandy Bridge, 2 cores, 2.5 GHz, 3 MB L3);
- Intel Pentium G6950 (Clarkdale, 2 cores, 2.8 GHz, 3 MB L3).
- ASUS AT5IONT-I (Intel Atom D525 + Intel NM10 Express + NVIDIA GT218);
- Gigabyte E350N-USB3 (AMD E-350 + AMD Hudson M1);
- Intel DG41AN (LGA775, Intel G41 Express);
- Zotac H55-ITX WiFi (LGA1156, Intel H55 Express);
- Zotac H67-ITX WiFi (LGA1155, Intel H67 Express).
- 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1333 SDRAM DIMM (Kingston KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX) 9-9-9-27;
- 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1333 SDRAM SODIMM (Apogee AS2G733-13G) 9-9-9-27;
- Hard drive: Kingston SNVP325-S2/128GB.
- Power supply: Tagan TG880-U33II (880 W).
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64.
- ATI Catalyst 11.2 Display Driver;
- Intel Chipset Driver 220.127.116.115;
- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver 15.?17.?16.?64.?2302;
- Intel HD Graphics Driver 15.?21.?12.?2321;
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.??1.??0.??1008;
- NVIDIA GeForce/ION Driver 266.58.
All tests were performed using integrated graphics controllers, because they make more sense in small energy-efficient systems.