Testbed and Methods
We’ll test the 22nm Haswell-based Core i3 series today. It includes three CPU models (Core i3-4340, Core i3-4330 and Core i3-4130) and we’ve got all of them. We will pit them against the Core i3 3000 series, taking its senior and midrange models. Besides that, we will take junior quad-core i5 series CPUs to see how the new Core i3 products compare with their higher-class cousins.
There will also be some AMD products. Considering the current prices, the dual-core i3 series can be compared with AMD's FX CPUs that have 4, 6 and even 8 cores. That's why you'll see three variants of the Socket AM3+ platform in the diagrams. We'll also include the Socket FM2 platform, represented by the top-end Richland-based model A10-6800K.
Here is the full list of the hardware and software components we’re going to use for this test session.
- AMD A10-6800K (Richland, 4 cores, 4.1-4.4 GHz, 2x2 MB L2)
- AMD FX-8350 (Vishera, 8 cores, 4.0-4.2 GHz, 4x2 MB L2, 8 MB L3)
- AMD FX-6350 (Vishera, 6 cores, 3.9-4.2 GHz, 3x2 MB L2, 6 MB L3)
- AMD FX-4350 (Vishera, 4 cores, 4.2-4.3 GHz, 2x2 MB L2, 4 MB L3)
- Intel Core i5-4430 (Haswell, 4 cores, 3.0-3.2 GHz, 4x256 KB L2, 6 MB L3)
- Intel Core i5-3330 (Ivy Bridge, 4 cores, 3.0-3.2 GHz, 4x256 KB L2, 6 MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-4340 (Haswell, 2 cores + HT, 3.6 GHz, 2x256 KB L2, 4 MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-4330 (Haswell, 2 cores + HT, 3.5 GHz, 2x256 KB L2, 4 MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-4130 (Haswell, 2 cores + HT, 3.4 GHz, 2x256 KB L2, 3 MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-3250 (Ivy Bridge, 2 cores + HT, 3.5 GHz, 2x256 KB L2, 3 MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-3225 (Ivy Bridge, 2 cores + HT, 3.2 GHz, 2x256 KB L2, 3 MB L3)
- CPU cooler: NZXT Havik 140
- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 (Socket AM3+, AMD 990FX + SB950)
- ASUS F2A85-V Pro (Socket FM2, AMD A85)
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe (LGA 1155, Intel Z77 Express)
- Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (LGA 1150, Intel Z87 Express)
- System memory: 2 x 8 GB DDR3-2133 SDRAM, 9-11-11-31 (G.Skill [TridentX] F3-2133C9D-16GTX)
- Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (3 GB/384-bit GDDR5, 863-902/6008 MHz)
- Disk subsystem: Intel SSD 520 240 GB (SSDSC2CW240A3K5)
- Power supply: Corsair AX760i (80 Plus Platinum, 760 W)
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise x64
- AMD Chipset Drivers 13.9
- AMD Catalyst 13.9 Driver
- Intel Chipset Driver 18.104.22.1687
- Intel HD Graphics Driver 22.214.171.124.3316
- Intel Management Engine Driver 126.96.36.1995
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology 188.8.131.526
- NVIDIA GeForce 331.65 Driver
The main part of this testing was carried out with a discrete graphics card Nvidia GeForce GTX 780, so we didn't focus on benchmarking the graphics core integrated into Intel's new CPUs. However, we've got a special report on modern integrated graphics where you can find performance data about the HD Graphics 4600 solution available in the Haswell-based Core i3 CPUs.