Testbed and Methods
Since we got our hands on the engineering sample of the new processor stepping, we performed a brief express-test in the following platform:
- Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Intel X58 Express, BIOS version F7c);
- CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P with Enermax Magma UCMA12 fan (1500RPM);
- Memory: Kingston HyperX KHX16000D3K3/3GX (DDR3-1600 SDRAM, 3 x 2GB, 8-8-8-24);
- Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4890;
- HDD: Western Digital Raptor WD1500AHFD;
- PSU: SilverStone SST-ST85ZF (850 W);
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista x64 SP1;
- Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 184.108.40.2067;
- ATI Catalyst 9.4 Display Driver.
We took the previous Extreme Edition solution – Core i7-965 XE (C0 processor stepping) – to compare against our today’s hero – Core i7-975 XE. We have already reviewed the 965 XE model before, so please see our article called New Hit from Remake King: Intel Core i7 Review for details.