Testbed and Methods
We decided to test Core 2 Duo E7300 and Pentium Dual-Core E5200 processors together, because they are positioned very close to one another, so they will have almost the same competitors in the market. For example, it would make sense to compare Core 2 Duo E7300 against the youngest fully-fledged Wolfdale – Core 2 Duo E8200; the previous Core 2 Duo E7200 model and the top solution from the line-up that will be replaced by the new series - Core 2 Duo E4700. As for Pentium Dual-Core E5200, the closest alternatives for it would be not only its predecessor – Pentium Dual-Core E2220, but also the already mentioned higher-end Core 2 Duo E7200 and Core 2 Duo E4700.
Moreover, we shouldn’t forget about AMD solutions, as well. Despite their relatively low performance by today’s standards, they still can compete against inexpensive Intel processors based on cut-down Wolfdale core modifications. Therefore, we have also included the results for two mode CPUs: the dual-core Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and triple-core Phenom X3 8750 from the same price range.
As a result, the complete list of hardware we used to built our testbed looked as follows:
- AMD Phenom X3 8750 (Socket AM2+, 2.4GHz, 3 x 512KB L2, 2MB L3, Toliman);
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (Socket AM2, 3.1GHz, 2 x 512KB L2, Brisbane);
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 (LGA775, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB L2, Wolfdale);
- Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 (LGA775, 2.66GHz, 1067MHz FSB, 3MB L2, Wolfdale-3M);
- Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (LGA775, 2.53GHz, 1067MHz FSB, 3MB L2, Wolfdale-3M);
- Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 (LGA775, 2.6GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2, Allendale);
- Intel Pentium DC E5200 (LGA775, 2.5GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2, Wolfdale-2M);
- Intel Pentium DC E2220 (LGA775, 2.4GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2, Allendale).
- DFI LANPARTY DK P45-T2RS (LGA775, Intel P45, DDR2 SDRAM);
- ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe (Socket AM2+, AMD 790FX).
- Memory: 2GB DDR2-800 SDRAM with 4-4-4-12 timings (Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF).
- Graphics card: OCZ GeForce 8800GTX (PCI-E x16).
- HDD: Western Digital WD1500AHFD (SATA150).
- OS: Microsoft Windows Vista x86.