Testbed and Methods
We will compare the Haswell Refresh processors with their Haswell predecessors which have been selling for almost a year already. Below is the full list of hardware components we will use in this test session.
- Intel Core i7-4790 (Haswell, 4 cores + HT, 3.6-4.0 GHz, 4x256KB L2, 8MB L3)
- Intel Core i7-4770K (Haswell, 4 cores + HT, 3.5-3.9 GHz, 4x256KB L2, 8MB L3)
- Intel Core i5-4690 (Haswell, 4 cores, 3.5-3.9 GHz, 4x256KB L2, 6MB L3)
- Intel Core i5-4670K (Haswell, 4 cores, 3.4-3.8 GHz, 4x256KB L2, 6MB L3)
- Intel Core i5-4590 (Haswell, 4 cores, 3.3-3.7 GHz, 4x256KB L2, 6MB L3)
- Intel Core i5-4570 (Haswell, 4 cores, 3.2-3.6 GHz, 4x256KB L2, 6MB L3)
- Intel Core i5-4460 (Haswell, 4 cores, 3.2-3.4 GHz, 4x256KB L2, 6MB L3)
- Intel Core i5-4440 (Haswell, 4 cores, 3.1-3.3 GHz, 4x256KB L2, 6MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-4360 (Haswell, 2 cores + HT, 3.7 GHz, 2x256KB L2, 4MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-4350 (Haswell, 2 cores + HT, 3.6 GHz, 2x256KB L2, 4MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-4340 (Haswell, 2 cores + HT, 3.6 GHz, 2x256KB L2, 4MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-4150 (Haswell, 2 cores + HT, 3.5 GHz, 2x256KB L2, 3MB L3)
- Intel Core i3-4130 (Haswell, 2 cores + HT, 3.4 GHz, 2x256KB L2, 3MB L3)
- CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
- Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (LGA1150, Intel Z87)
- System memory: 2x8GB G.Skill [TridentX] F3-2133C9D-16GTX DDR3-2133 SDRAM (9-11-11-31)
- Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti (3 GB/384-bit GDDR5, 876-928/7000 MHz)
- Storage: Intel SSD 520 240GB (SSDSC2CW240A3K5)
- Power supply: Corsair AX760i (80 Plus Platinum, 760 W)
We carry out our tests in Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 with the following drivers:
- Intel Chipset Driver 10.0.13
- Intel Management Engine Driver 10.0.0.1204
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology 184.108.40.2061
- NVIDIA GeForce Driver 335.23
As usual, we use the Bapco SYSmark suite to estimate performance in everyday computing tasks. It emulates a user working in popular office and digital content creation and processing applications. The test produces a single score indicative of the computer’s average performance across different applications. SYSmark has been updated recently, so we use the latest version, SYSmark 2014, for our tests.
These results might be expected. The Haswell Refresh processors have no improvements or optimizations in their microarchitecture, so the only difference from the older Haswell CPUs is due to clock rate. The new CPUs have a 100 MHz higher clock rate, which ensures an average 2.5% performance gain. To be specific, the Core i7-4790 is 1.8% ahead of the Core i7-4771 (also known as Core i7-4770K). The Core i5-4690 is 2.3% faster than the Core i5-4670. The Core i5-4590 is 2.3% faster than the Core i5-4570. The Core i5-4460 is 2.7% ahead of the Core i5-4440. The Core i3-4360 is 3.1% ahead of the Core i3-4340. And the Core i3-4150 is 2.3% faster than the Core i3-4130.
Now let’s take a closer look at the performance scores SYSmark 2014 generates in different usage scenarios. The Office Productivity scenario emulates typical office tasks, such as text editing, spreadsheets, email and web-surfing. This scenario uses the following applications: Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, Google Chrome 32, Microsoft Excel 2013, Microsoft OneNote 2013, Microsoft Outlook 2013, Microsoft PowerPoint 2013, Microsoft Word 2013, and WinZip Pro 17.5.
The Media Creation scenario emulates the creation of a video clip out of prepared materials (digital images and videos) using Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 и Trimble SketchUp Pro 2013.
The Data/Financial Analysis scenario is devoted to statistical and market analysis. It processes a lot of numerical data in two applications: Microsoft Excel 2013 and WinZip Pro 17.5.