Phenom II X6 Model Lineup
Today AMD announced only two models of their new family: Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition and Phenom II X6 1055T.
Phenom II X6 1090T
The table below shows their formal specifications:
And this is what we get from the CPU-Z diagnostic utility about the flagship Phenom II X6 1090T model:
However, AMD is not going to stop at two processor models and within the next few months there will be more six-core Phenom II X6 CPUs from AMD coming out. Besides, there will also be quad-core processor based on the same Thuban with two cores disabled.
Testbed Configuration and Methodology
We are going to compare new six-core AMD processors against dual- and quad-core competitor CPUs from the same price range. For your reference, we also included the results for the new six-core Intel Core i7-980X processor, which is undoubtedly a much faster solution. Moreover, the diagrams will also show the performance numbers for the top quad-core AMD processor, which will be replaced eventually by Phenom II X6 in the mainstream price segment. As a result, we ended up with the following hardware and software components for our testbeds:
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (Thuban, 6 cores/6 threads, 3.2 GHz, 6 MB L3);
- AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (Thuban, 6 cores/6 threads, 2.8 GHz, 6 MB L3);
- AMD Phenom II X4 965 (Deneb, 4 cores/4 threads, 3.4 GHz, 6 MB L3);
- Intel Core i7-980X (Gulftown, 6 cores/12 threads, 3.33 GHz, 12 MB L3);
- Intel Core i7-930 (Bloomfield, 4 cores/8 threads, 2.8 GHz, 8 MB L3);
- Intel Core i7-920 (Bloomfield, 4 cores/8 threads, 2.66 GHz, 8 MB L3);
- Intel Core i7-860 (Lynnfield, 4 cores/8 threads, 2.8 GHz, 8 MB L3);
- Intel Core i5-750 (Lynnfield, 4 cores/4 threads, 2.66 GHz, 8 MB L3);
- Intel Core i6-670 (Clarkdale, 2 cores/4 threads, 3.46 GHz, 4 MB L3).
- ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (Socket AM3, AMD 890GX + SB850, DDR3 SDRAM);
- ASUS P7P55D Premium (LGA1156, Intel P55 Express);
- Gigabyte X58A-UD5 (LGA1366, Intel X58 Express).
- 2 x 2 GB, DDR3-1600 SDRAM, 9-9-9-24 (Kingston KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX);
- 3 x 2 GB, DDR3-1600 SDRAM, 9-9-9-24 (Crucial BL3KIT25664TG1608).
- Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5870.
- HDD: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS.
- PSU: Tagan TG880-U33II (880 W).
- OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
- Intel Chipset Driver 18.104.22.1685;
- ATI Catalyst 10.3 Display Driver.