Package and Accessories
ASUS’s top-end graphics cards are usually packed in a huge box, but the huge box with the EAX1800XT TOP is designed in a different way than before:
ASUS’s graphics cards on ATI’s GPUs used to come in blue-colored rather than black boxes. There is another picture on the box’s front, too. Not a fantasy knight or mage is looking sternly at the buyer, but a space trooper in full armor and with an impressive gun in hand. The box still has a convenient handle and its front panel can be opened for you to read a detailed product specification. Unfortunately, there is now no window that would allow taking a look at the card without taking it out of the package.
Here are the accessories you receive with the ASUS EAX1800XT TOP/2DHTV graphics card:
- External power supply
- Power cord for the external power supply
- Molex → PCI Express power adapter
- VIVO splitter
- YPbPr splitter
- Two DVI-I → D-Sub adapters
- S-Video cable
- RCA cable
- ASUS XitePad gamepad
- User manual on the gamepad
- Graphics card installation guide
- Imitation-leather CD case
- Software bundle
As you see, none of the necessary cables and adapters is missing here. We’ll talk about the external power supply shortly while the software bundle deserves closer inspection. It includes the following games:
- Peter Jackson’s King Kong
- Joint Strike: Typhoon Rising
- Project Snowblind
- Xpand Rally
- Second Sight
- PowerDrome: Race of Champions
- Chaos League
Besides games, the software pack also includes discs with drivers and utilities, with the ASUS DVD XP player, with CyberLink Power Director 3 and Media@Show SE 2.0. An individual CD carries a detailed user manual in digital format. The discs are supplied in traditional paper envelopes, but you can store them in the enclosed imitation-leather pouch which looks quite stylish to us.
There is no web-camera here which used to accompany some earlier graphics cards from ASUS; it is replaced with an ASUS XitePad joystick:
This is a regular 10-button gamepad with USB interface, two analog sticks and feedback. Its rubberized plastic case is quite handy; the buttons and sticks are placed in the same manner as on gamepads from Sony’s PlayStation which are considered among the most ergonomics-friendly devices in their class.
We think it’s really better to receive a gamepad than a web-camera for such a gaming graphics card as EAX1800XT TOP. You are sure to appreciate it if you are into games with third-person view, especially as a fine example of the genre, Peter Jackson’s King Kong , is the card’s software bundle.
The EAX1800XT TOP supports the following exclusive technologies from ASUS:
- ASUS Splendid automatically identifies a started video application and optimizes image quality for the best results.
- ASUS GameFace Messenger provides for audio and visual communication between gamers during network play.
- ASUS GameLiveShow allows broadcasting your play in the Internet.
- ASUS GameReplay records your play in an MPEG4 video clip for viewing later and analyzing your gaming faults.
- ASUS Video Security Online allows using a web-camera for Internet broadcasting. It can be used as a simple movement-reacting security system.
- ASUS OnScreenDisplay (OSD) permits to adjust image settings like brightness, contrast, etc., without leaving the game.
You will find the technologies-related software on the Drivers CD.
The packaging and accessories of the ASUS EAX1800 XT TOP/2DHTV are really top-notch. We can think of only one card, MSI’s NX6800GT-T2D256E, that comes with as many games included (for details see our article called MSI NX6800GT-T2D256E Graphics Card Review).