Winning a customer is often the result of proper marketing and promotion rather than innovation. So, one of the problems every developer faces is whether to invest into something new or market an older technology with highlighted benefits.
A few years ago Nvidia tried to present an old dish with a new flavor but the attempt was criticized by both reviewers and users. Notwithstanding that, AMD tried the same trick in the spring of 2011 by releasing a batch of Radeon HD 6770 cards which were in fact rebranded Radeon HD 5770s. The launch of the “new” product went quietly and didn’t provoke much excitement. But how does the 2-year-old GPU feel among newer opponents?
Our tests suggest that high resolutions and FSAA are largely beyond the RV840’s capabilities but RV840-based products remain competitive. Even the reference Radeon HD 6770 is as fast as the younger GeForce GTX 550 Ti based on the new Fermi technology.
Of course, the Radeon HD 6770 can’t become a bestseller of the mainstream market now and it doesn’t really aspire to be a leader, priced at $129. However, when overclocked, it can challenge the more advanced Radeon HD 6850.
It can also be a good choice for a multimedia computer. Thanks to the new PowerPlay modes and enhanced Unified Video Decoder it supports 3D imaging technologies.
PowerColor PCS+ HD6770 1GB GDDR5 Vortex II (DiRT 3 Edition) Summary
The PowerColor PCS+ HD6770 1GB GDDR5 Vortex II (DiRT 3 Edition) is surely worth the money they ask for it. This card can serve you well for the next few years. Its downsides (128-bit memory bus and low tessellation performance) are inconspicuous even in latest games whereas its advantages are obvious: very attractive price, efficient cooling, a free game in the box, factory overclocking, etc.
AMD's approach to releasing new products may be criticized, but take a look at the test results first!
- Superb quality of manufacture;
- In overclocked mode may compete against Radeon HD 6850;
- Best quality of anisotropic filtering in the industry;
- Supports up to 3 monitors;
- Fully-fledged hardware HD video decoding, including H.264 and 3D Blu-ray;
- High-quality HD video post-processing with scalability;
- Integrated sound core with HD support;
- Sound over HDMI;
- DisplayPort 1.2;
- Very efficient cooling system;
- Low noise;
- Good overclocking potential;
- Coupon for a free version of DiRT 3 game.
- Old GPU architecture;
- Incomplete HDMI 1.4a support;
- Low performance in high resolutions;
- Low performance with enabled FSAA.