So far we pressed the keyboard keys about 50 times and that is in one section only! And then it would be nice to disable the image loading on boot-up, change the memory timings to the 5-5-5-15 that will work guaranteed. And all this is another 50 keystrokes. Then we have to enable USB keyboard support, change the booting priority from PCI graphics card to PCI-E…
Next time you boot the system you will have to correct the CPU Vcore, Vchipset, Vmem, change the frequencies… All in all, you will have to strike the keyboard keys at least 100 times to get the board to start.
This description seemed pretty boring to you, didn’t it? But it was exactly how we checked things out! Any small mistake resulted into the need to clear CMOS (>100 keystrokes), restart the board (>100 keystrokes), and then again (>100 keystrokes), and again (>100 keystrokes)…
A pedantic person with phlegmatic character may actually enjoy this endless keyboard routine. As for me, after a few thousand keystrokes I got very strong desire to give it up.
In fact, I would have done so log time ago, but I couldn’t forget about the 475MHz FSB that were once achieved on this mainboard. That is why I kept trying out different frequencies attempting to avoid the possible FSB Hole, different combinations of voltages, memory frequencies, but all in vain: the board would only start at 375MHz FSB.
Although I have to admit that my efforts were partially rewarded. I noticed that the board has hard times only with the first boot-up, and then it starts much faster with the same or higher frequency settings. That is why after the first successful boot-up with the “must” 1500MHZ frequency setting, which equals the notorious 375MHz in quadrupled values, I didn’t raise the bar to 1700, 1800 or higher frequencies right away. Instead I set the modest value of only 1600MHz, and the board booted well and even passed the 4M SuperPi test! Then I started adding 50MHz each time (12.5MHz FSB), and the board kept booting successfully and passing the stability check! Maybe I could have used even a bigger increment, but I decided not to take the risk, because it could result into the 11 code error and would push me back to the very beginning.
So, little by little I reached the 1800MHz, i.e. 450MHz FSB frequency, that I couldn’t attain before. This was a pretty high result and the stability test completed successfully again, but then the board froze during the next boot-up with error code 52 and after I hit Reset - with the familiar error code 11. I have to say that by that time I have already increased the processor Vcore, North Bridge voltage and Vmem and our CPU would have been already running at 490MHz FSB on any other mainboard with the same settings.
I doubt that there will be anyone willing to repeat my experiments in real life: start with 1500MHz (375MHz) and then little by little raise the frequency to end up with the need to do it all over on the next failed boot-up. If abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI can start and work stably only at 375MHz FSB, then we should probably consider it to be the maximum of its potential.
As for 475MHz FSB that I managed to obtain on this mainboard with a different CPU, then I have to conclude that abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI mainboard, just like MSI P6N Platinum, works differently with different CPU models. These two mainboards actually have a lot in common: MSI P6N SLI Platinum also starts only at 375MHz maximum FSB frequency for the first time, although abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI, unlike the MSI solution, knows to reduce the processor clock frequency multiplier.