Mainboard makers have welcomed the arrival of LGA1156 platform with great enthusiasm. If even Intel offers four mainboard models based on Intel P55 Express chipset, then what can we say about Asus and Gigabyte who have at least a dozen different mainboard modifications even for flagship chipsets like Intel X58 Express. However, looks like we have been not quite fair towards Asus this time. So far we have already reviewed two mainboards from Gigabyte – GA-P55-UD6 and GA-P55-UD3R – and at least two more Gigabyte mainboards are awaiting their turn to be reviewed. But there was only one Asus mainboard, which we introduced to you in our article called “Guide: Lynnfield Overclocking on Asus P7P55D Deluxe Mainboard”. We intend to fix that omission and would like to offer you a review of an extraordinary mainboard from Asus – Maximus III Formula, which belongs to the “Republic of Gamers” (RoG) series.
Package and Accessories
Don’t be discouraged by the rough image of a thick and awkward looking Asus Maximus III Formula box on the previous photo. In reality the box is fine and stylish.
Although the box is not that thick at all, it doesn’t mean that it is poorly made or contains very few accessories. The front of the box has a flip-cover. If you open it you will see a large window that reveals almost the entire mainboard inside. It is additionally protected with a thick cardboard casing. All accessories are neatly packed into an individual multi-sectional box. The list of included accessories is unusually long and far beyond ordinary:
- SupremeFX X-Fi discrete sound card;
- Six Serial ATA cables with metal connector locks; half of them have L-shaped connectors, and another half – straight connectors;
- 12-in-1 ROG Cable Label – a list with twelve paper tags that can be used to mark SATA cables;
- Rear panel bracket with two USB and one eSATA port;
- Flexible bridge for connecting the cards in Nvidia SLI configurations;
- Asus Q-Connector Kit for convenient connection of front panel buttons, indicators and USB port;
- ROG Connect Cable – a cable with two USB connectors for easy connection to another computer system;
- I/O Shield for the case rear panel;
- A couple of plastic ties for cable management;
- ROG Theme Label – a large sticker with “Republic of Gamers” image, like the one in the lower right corner of the box;
- User manual;
- DVD disk with software and drivers.