If you are fond of anniversaries and jubilees, we can give you one reason to be merry about. The LGA1366 platform turns two years old this fall! This is not a round date and is not supposed to entail some special festivities, yet the event that happened about two years ago was quite momentous. We were quite naturally excited about the new platform and tested a lot of LGA1366 mainboards from different brands but later switched to LGA1156 products. There have been some developments since then, though. First of all, there have appeared new BIOSes with corrected bugs and new features, and mainboards themselves, despite the same names, have changed and come in new revisions. New products have been released as well. For example, we recently published a review of the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 mainboard which proved to be extraordinary in many respects.
In our today's review we will cover yet another LGA1366 mainboard from a famous brand. It is ASUS P6X58D-E. This mainboard is based on the Intel X58 Express chipset and complements its functionality with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps.
Packaging and Accessories
The ASUS P6X58D-E comes in a robust cardboard box. Its external cover has a flip-down face panel. The text on the box will tell you some information about ASUS mainboards in general as well as about this model in particular.
Besides the mainboard, there are also the following accessories:
- Four SATA cables with metal connector locks, two with L-shaped locks and two with straight ones;
- Two SATA cables with locks and different connectors that are specifically designed for SATA 6 Gbps devices (can be distinguished by white inserts on connectors);
- Flexible bridge for 2-way SLI graphics configurations;
- Hard bridge for 3-way SLI graphics configurations;
- I/O Shield for the back panel;
- “Asus Q-Connector” including adapters for easy connection of the system case front panel buttons and indicators and a USB port;
- User manual;
- DVD disk with drivers and software;
- “Powered by Asus” sticker for the system case.