Design and Features
As the junior P8Z77-V LX model, the P8Z77-V LK is narrower than the ATX form-factor but retains a classic component layout without compromising on usability.
Supporting all types of LGA1155 CPUs, the mainboard features a digital 4+1+1 power system. As opposed to the junior model, some of the voltage regulator components are covered with an additional heatsink secured with spring-loaded plastic latches. The chipset heatsink uses the same kind of fastening. Like the rest of ASUS mainboards, this one can take in up to 32 GB of DDR3 SDRAM and clock it at frequencies of 800 to 3200 MHz (with an Ivy Bridge CPU). Storage devices are connected via the Intel Z77 Express chipset: two SATA 6 Gbit/s connectors (gray-colored) and four SATA 3 Gbit/s connectors (blue). There are no additional SATA controllers here.
Unlike its junior cousin, the P8Z77-V LK can share 16 PCIe 3.0/2.0 lanes between two graphics slots, supporting multi-GPU configurations based on Nvidia SLI and AMD CrossFireX technologies. In the latter case you can even use a third slot (the black one, in PCIe 2.0 x4 mode) at the expense of both PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots which become disabled. Besides, there are two PCI slots available for expansion cards. The P8Z77-V LK also carries an additional ASMedia ASM1042 controller which is responsible for the two back-panel USB 3.0 ports.
- Universal PS/2 connector for keyboard and mouse;
- Two USB 2.0 ports, another eight ports are laid out as four onboard pin-connectors;
- D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort video outs;
- Four USB 3.0 ports (blue connectors), two of which are implemented via ASMedia ASM1042 controller. Another two ports and one more internal pin-connector for two additional USB 3.0 ports are provided by Intel Z77 Express chipset;
- A local network port (network adapters are built on Gigabit Realtek RTL8111F controller).
- An optical S/PDIF and six analogue audio-jacks provided by eight-channel Realtek ALC892 codec;
Like the P8Z77-V LX, this model has broad and handy Q-Slot latches on its graphics slots while the memory slots have ordinary latches. The MemOK! button allows the mainboard to start up successfully in case of problems with system memory. The GPU Boost switch can automatically increase the clock rate of the CPU-integrated graphics core. The EPU (Energy Processing Unit) switch can be used to enable power-saving modes, but the mainboard lacks a TPU (TurboV Processing Unit) switch for CPU overclocking although it does support TurboV technology. There is only one indicator (DRAM LED) out of the diagnostic Q-LED system available on other ASUS mainboards. Besides it, we can see Standby Power, EPU and GPU Boost LEDs. The four fan connectors are all of the 4-pin type. Compared to the senior models, the P8Z77-V LX lacks the firmware update technology USB BIOS Flashback.
For your reference we summed up all the mainboard features and technical specifications in the following table: