In our recent reviews of LGA1155 mainboards we focused on entry-level models, but the ASUS P8Z77-V that we’re going to discuss today is neither simple nor inexpensive. There is logic in our choice of the subject, though. This model has the same name as the numerous family of ASUS mainboards based on the Intel Z77 Express chipset but has no index like Pro, Deluxe or Premium, which distinguish top-end products, and no index like LX, LK or LE, which mark entry-level mainboards in ASUS’s product range. Thus, the ASUS P8Z77-V can be viewed as the junior model among the top-end ones. It also seems to be the basic mainboard for the entire family, that’s why we are interested in its capabilities.
Packaging and Accessories
The ASUS P8Z77-V is shipped in a standard box whose design is unified for the entire series. The mainboard’s name is printed in large letters on the front together with logos of its technologies and features. On the back of the packaging we can see a picture of the mainboard, a brief list of its specifications and some information about its key features.
The product comes with a surprising number of accessories which include:
- Four Serial ATA cables with metal connector locks, two of which are specifically designed for SATA 6 Gbps devices (with white inserts in the connectors);
- A flexible bridge for two-way Nvidia SLI graphics configurations;
- “Asus Q-Connector” kit including adapters for easy connection of the system case front panel buttons and indicators and a USB 2.0 port;
- Wi-Fi GO! Module;
- Wi-Fi ring antenna;
- I/O Shield for the back panel;
- User manual;
- “Exclusive Features” brochure with instructions for Wi-Fi GO!, Fan Xpert 2, Network iControl and USB Charger+ utilities;
- “Exclusive Boot Features” brochure with instructions for Fast Boot, Asus Boot Setting, Direct BIOS Access and Windows 8 BIOS Boot Settings functions;
- Wi-Fi GO! manual;
- A brief assembly guide with instructions in several languages;
- DVD disk with software and drivers;
- “Powered by Asus” sticker for the system case.
Nearly all of them are included with some other ASUS mainboards. The only new addition is the Exclusive Boot Features brochure which contains information about Fast Boost, ASUS Boot Setting, Direct BIOS Access and Windows 8 Boot Settings.