Every package of every sound card from TerraTec carries a 4G Sound logo: a red ear with a “hear the truth” slogan. 4G Sound is the name of a surround-sound technology: 4th Generation of Sound (for PC). The sound cards generations changed in 1998 right after first low-cost audio controllers capable of reproducing 24/96 sound appeared. If you would like to find out more about the application field for such high-resolution audio solutions, refer to the articles (in PDF format) at TerraTec’s website:
- A presentational article about the 4G generation (download here);
- «What do 24 bit and 96 kHz achieve?» article (download here).
Sensaura Sound Technologies
TerraTec audio cards for the multimedia market support the Sensaura technology developed by a company with the same name. The company has been engaged for over twelve years into writing math1ematical modeling algorithms for sound environment. Sensaura-supporting audio cards are easily recognizable for the logo on their packages.
Here is the list of Sensaura functions:
- Microsoft DirectSound 3D extension;
- Sensaura 3D – a solution for dual-speaker systems without losing in functionality;
- Sensaura MultiDrive – full sound positioning (both horizontal and vertical) when using four or more speakers;
- Sensaura MacroFX – 3D sound support when sound sources are placed close to the listener;
- Sensaura Digital Ear – correct 3D sound output via headphones;
- Full support of the A3D standard (ver.1.0);
- Sensaura ZoomFX – (the technology is in the finalizing phase) Dolby Digital 5.1 sound output via headphones.
Now, let’s dwell on each of the mentioned functions in detail.
Sensaura MultiDrive. This subset of the Sensaura technology allows 3D sound playback with the help of the standard API DirectSound 3D. A special algorithm, Transaural Cross-Talk Cancellation (TCC) was developed for this purpose. TCC is better than standard CC algorithms at producing low-frequency sound. The user is able to control TCC and adjust its work mode. MultiDrive is intended to work with Sensaura’s MacroFX and ZoomFX algorithms.
Sensaura MacroFX. This algorithm solves the problem of authentic sound reproduction immediately close to the user. It produces the effect as if the sound source had been moved from the loudspeakers to the listener’s head, or even got inside the head! This weird thing is achieved by means of an accurate modeling of the sound wave in the 3D environment around the user’s head. The modeling algorithm adjusts volume differences and takes into account time delays occurring when the ears perceive sound from a single source (ITD – Interaural Time Delay).
Sensaura Digital Ear. This method is based on a math1ematical model of the human ear with changeable parameters (“there are no two men with identical ears”). The concept of the math1ematical model implies that complex resonance and diffraction effects, which are an inherent part of any HRTF-function, can change independently. As a result, a duplex system was developed that helps to adjust various parameters in an arbitrary scale.
You can install Sensaura 3D demo programs from the installation CD that comes with Aureon, and listen to those 3D sound effects.