In order to set up and manage the ASUS WL-500GD router you can access it right from your browser at one of the special addresses (http://my.router/, http://my.wl500gx/ or http://192.168.1.1/) or use the exclusive utility Device Discovery.
You type in the user name and password to get to the router’s home page.
Next you can opt for the Quick Setup variant and set the router up for the required role by answering a few questions or you can sail on your own among the specifications of network protocols.
So, helm in hand, let’s sail off (if you don’t want to plunge into the intricacies of the setup process, you can get right to the next section of this article).
Menu Options: Wireless
You enter the following in the Interface page:
- Channel Number or Auto, the latter setting makes the system seek for a free channel at boot-up
- Wireless Mode: Auto (b- and g-clients), 54g only (g-clients only)
- Parameters pertaining to authentication and data encryption; these are described in table below.
ASUS WL-500G Deluxe Authetication and Encryption Options
* - supports AES and TKIP encryption for WPA
The Bridge page allows choosing a special-purpose mode of the WL-500G Deluxe:
- AP Mode: AP Only (as an access point only), WDS Only (for connection to other access points only), Hybrid (both functions)
- Channel: both access points in the wireless bridge mode must be set up for one and the same channel number
- Here you should also set up the options concerning anonymous connections and the use of connection to the access point by a list of MAC addresses.
In the Access Control submenu you can permit or prohibit access to wireless clients with specific MAC addresses.
The Radius Setting submenu contains settings necessary for connection to the Radius server.
The last, Advanced submenu offers fine-tuning options for the 802.11x protocol as well as parameters not included into the previous submenus. From here, you can:
- Hide SSID
- Prevent the clients from setting up a connection bypassing the WL-500GD
- Manually select the data-transfer speed
- Enable Afterburner technology and the FrameBursting mode
- Create a connection schedule for wireless users, and so on.