Performance in PCMark Vantage
Compared with the previous versions, the Vantage version of PCMark is more up-to-date and advanced in its selection of subtests as well as Windows Vista orientation. Each subtest runs ten times and the results of the ten runs are averaged. Here is a brief description of each subtest:
- Windows Defender produces multithreaded load, one thread scanning files for malicious software.
- Gaming emulates the typical load on the disk subsystem when the user is playing a video game.
- Photo Gallery emulates loading of images from a photo gallery.
- Vista Start Up emulates the disk subsystem load when booting up Windows Vista.
- Movie Maker emulates video editing load.
- Media Center. This is the load on the hard disk when the user is running Windows Media Center.
- Media Player emulates the loading of files into Windows Media Player.
- Application Loading shows the hard disk’s speed when loading popular applications.
Basing on these subtests, the HDD’s overall performance rating is calculated.
The Seagate HDDs are on the losing side here. Despite its rather good performance in the rest of our tests, the Barracuda LP ST1000DL002 fails in PCMark, being last in every subtest save for Application Loading. The Caviar Black WD1001FALS doesn’t do well, either. It shares the last-but-one place with the Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS in the overall standings. The RE4 WD1003FBYX, Caviar Black WD1002FAEX and Caviar Blue WD10EALS compete among themselves and occupy the top of the podium.