Despite its not the best speed formula for today, the AOpen DUW1608/ARR can serve its owner well for a long time yet. It may be not the etalon of an optical drive, and it is not the best in terms of burn quality and functionality, but it is still going to make a good drive for everyday work. I was pleased with the quiet operation and low temperature of the device (despite the total lack of vent openings in its case). The not very informative LED indicator and a long disc recognition time are its minor drawbacks.
You will want to consider other and more advanced models if you’re shopping for a new optical drive. But if the DUW1608/ARR is already installed in your system, you shouldn’t hurry to replace it.
- Quiet operation
- Low heat generation
- Good burn quality with CD discs and most DVD formats
- Excellent capabilities at copying protected discs
- Interchangeable faceplates
- Problems at burning DVD+R DL
- Can’t work normally with DVD+RW at 4x speed
- Rather poor quality of burning CD-RW discs at 32x speed
- Inaccurate with C2 errors
- Imperfect error-correction logic
- Possible problems with getting firmware updates