Performance in PCMark Vantage
Compared with the previous versions, the Vantage version of PCMark is more up-to-date and advanced in its selection of subtests as well as Windows Vista orientation. Each subtest runs ten times and the results of the ten runs are averaged.
Here is a brief description of each subtest:
- Windows Defender is when the disk subsystem is under multithreaded load, one thread scanning files for malicious software.
- Gaming emulates the typical load on the disk subsystem when the user is playing a video game.
- Photo Gallery emulates loading of images from a photo gallery.
- Vista Start Up emulates the disk subsystem load when booting up Windows Vista.
- Movie Maker emulates video editing load.
- Media Center. This is the load on the disk subsystem when the user is running Windows Media Center.
- Media Player emulates the loading of files into Windows Media Player.
- Application Loading shows the drive’s speed when loading popular applications.
Basing on these subtests, the drive’s overall performance rating is calculated.
The Force is first in this test just as we might have expected. As we know from our previous review, this controller is excellent at such loads. Second place goes to the P128, which is a surprise, especially as its cousin P256 has the lowest overall score. We don’t know the reason for the twofold difference between their scores. The Extreme series models pass this test with similar results, the Reactor and Nova following them closely.