The reviewed drives achieved good results in my tests, but require a serious overhaul as concerns processing DVD-R media. The strong and weak points of each model are listed below.
- Excellent burn quality with DVD media, save for DVD-R format;
- Fast error correction mechanism;
- Can read data from the housekeeping areas of the disc;
- Small offset;
- High audio grabbing speed.
- Average CD burn quality, especially at the lower speeds;
- Low-quality reading of damaged Audio CDs;
- Poor burning of DVD-R media.
- Good CD-R burn quality;
- Excellent DVD burn quality, save for the DVD-R format;
- 100% return of C2 errors;
- Excellently reads damaged Audio CDs.
- Cannot burn DVD-R discs;
- Cannot read the Lead-In and Lead-Out areas;
- Errors when copying audio data “on the fly”.