Performance in PCMark Vantage
Compared with the previous versions, the Vantage version of PCMark is more up-to-date and advanced in its selection of subtests as well as Windows Vista orientation. Each subtest runs ten times and the results of the ten runs are averaged.
Here is a brief description of each subtest:
- Windows Defender produces multithreaded load, one thread scanning files for malicious software.
- Gaming emulates the typical load on the disk subsystem when the user is playing a video game.
- Photo Gallery emulates loading of images from a photo gallery.
- Vista Start Up emulates the disk subsystem load when booting up Windows Vista.
- Movie Maker emulates video editing load.
- Media Center. This is the load on the disk when the user is running Windows Media Center.
- Media Player emulates the loading of files into Windows Media Player.
- Application Loading shows the disk subsystem’s speed when loading popular applications.
Basing on these subtests, the drive’s overall performance rating is calculated.
PCMark suggests that quad-controller SSDs of small storage capacities are the ideal option for home computers: the 100GB RevoDrive x2 and IBIS share top place with very close results. They are followed not by the rest of the quad-controller products but by the RevoDrive series whereas the IBIS could only outperform the outsider of this test session, the RevoDrive in JBOD mode. We really can't explain these standings but the trends are too clear to be disregarded as a mere coincidence.