The following testing utilities were used:
- Intel IOMeter 2003.02.15
- WinBench 99 2.0
- Xbit FC-Test 1.0
- ASUS P5WDG2 WS Pro mainboard
- Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 processor
- IBM DTLA-307015 system disk, 15GB
- Radeon X600 graphics card
- 1GB DDR2-800 SDRAM
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
We installed the generic OS drivers for the drives and formatted them in FAT32 and NTFS as one partition with the default cluster size. For some tests 32GB partitions were created on the drives and formatted in FAT32 and NTFS with the default cluster size, too. The drives were connected to the mainboard’s back-panel USB and FireWire ports and to the eSATA port of a Promise SATA300 TX4302 controller.
We will be referring to the drives by their series names (XTreme, Desk, Desktop) or by the employed interface.