For our today’s SSD test session we use a unified test system built on an Intel H77 based mainboard, which features two SATA 6 Gbit/s ports. We will use these ports to connect the tested SSDs.
As for the today’s testing participants, we are going to compare Toshiba THNSNH256GCST against the traditional set of the most popular and widely spread SSDs. Therefore, the performance diagrams below will show the results for many popular products on LSI, Marvell, LAMD, Samsung and Indilinx controllers. First, it is Intel SSD 520 the today’s fastest product on LSI SF-2281 controller. Second, we have Corsair Neutron GTX representing the company’s products on LAMD LM87800. Third, we have OCZ Vector – OCZ’s flagship SSD on Indilinx Barefoot 3 controller. Fourth, we have two Plextor drives: M5S on Marvell 9174 controller and M5 Pro (this time its Xtreme modification) on Marvell 9187 controller. And fifth, two Samsung products: 840 and 840 Pro representing the newest Samsung MDX platform. All above mentioned SSDs use exclusively synchronous flash memory. Intel SSD 520, OCZ Vector and Plextor M5S are built with 25 nm MLC memory from IMFT consortium with ONFI-interface. Corsair Neutron GTX, Plextor M5 Pro and Samsung 840 Pro use Toggle Mode MLC NAND manufactured by Toshiba using 2x nm or 19 nm production process. Samsung 840 SSD stands out due to the fact that it is based on 21 nm TLC NAND with Toggle Mode 2.0 interface. We did our best to ensure that all testing participants came in the closest storage capacity, to ensure fairness of the comparison – 240/250/256 GB.
Overall our testbed was configured as follows:
- Intel Core i5-3470S (Ivy Bridge, 4 cores, 2.9 GHz, EIST and Turbo Boost turned off);
- Intel DH77DF mainboard (BIOS 0108);
- 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1333 SDRAM DIMM 9-9-9-24-1T;
- Crucial m4 256 GB system disk (CT256M4SSD2);
- Tested SSDs:
- Corsair Neutron GTX 240 GB (CSSD-N240GBGTX-BK, firmware version 2.06);
- Intel SSD 520 240 GB (SSDSC2CW240A3K5, firmware version 400i);
- OCZ Vector 256 GB (VTR1-25SAT3-256G, firmware version 2.0);
- Plextor M5S 256 GB (PX-256M5S, firmware version 1.03);
- Plextor M5 Pro 256 GB (PX-256M5P, firmware version 1.03);
- Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB (MZ-7PD256, firmware version DXM04B0Q);
- Samsung 840 250 GB (MZ-7TD250, firmware version DXT07B0Q)
- Toshiba THNSNH 256 GB (THNSNH256GCST, firmware version HTGAN101).
- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
- Intel Chipset Driver 18.104.22.1686;
- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver 22.214.171.12432;
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology 126.96.36.1993.