Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Preview: AMD64 and Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology

Started by: Silver | Date 02/09/05 06:37:00 AM
Comments: 47 | Last Comment:  02/15/11 07:11:27 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-5]

Fix the errors on page with these benchmarks:

Pi-Bench:

"However, the performance increase of Athlon 64 processor in 64-bit mode is a bit higher and equals 35%, while Pentium 4 managed to benefit by only 25% of extra performance."

These are not correct % numbers!

A64 does 6734 msec in 32 bit and 4312 msec in 64 bit. This means it is 56.2 % faster in 64 bit mode!

P4 does 11094 msec in 32 bit and 8203 msec in 64 bit, that means it is 35.2 % faster in 64 bit mode.

Mini-GZIP:

"In this case the performance increase by the CPU with AMD64 technology made 55%, while in case of a CPU with Intel EM64T technology the performance in 64-bit mode grew up by 40%."

Again, completely wrong numbers:

A64 does 4.34 sec in 32 bit and 9.61 sec in 64 bit. This means it is 121 % faster in 64 bit mode!

P4 does 5.33 sec in 32 bit and 8.97 sec in 64 bit, that means it is 68 % faster in 64 bit mode.

These kind of math errors can easily be avoided by approximizations. Think of it like this for Mini-GZIP A64 case:

"If it takes about half the time to perform a task, how much faster is the CPU? It's twice as fast, right. So twice as fast = 100 % faster. Why do I write 55 % faster in my article? Because I turned the math around to incorrect numbers. I better check my math..."
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/09/05 07:25:44 AM]

Alright, I cannot read these anymore the grammer and spelling is atrocious! I don't usally post but this trend is all to common with Xbit and Anand's site.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/09/05 04:46:21 PM]
- collapse thread

"Grammer" !? Look who's talking... =P
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/09/05 05:16:02 PM]

HaHa, ya got me there, but one misspelled word does not a whole article of bad grammar and misspelled words make. I am not the one putting these on the web, and when I have trouble understanding or trying too figure out exactly what the writer is trying to convey then I get a little frustrated. I hope I don't come off sounding to terrible but if I'm catching these then the editor's definitly should as you so rightly pointed out that I'ma no gramma student myself. This is constructive criticism and not ment to be degrading.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/09/05 08:46:52 PM]

I count three words that weren't spelled correctly in your original sentence ;)
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/10/05 05:36:42 AM]

It appears that you shouldn't take in consideration the minigzip benchmark because it is faked by AMD
The article that shows that:
http://www.x86-secret.com/?option=newsd&nid=837
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/11/05 03:34:54 AM]

AMD64 is faster in Pov-Ray, Pi-Bench, Mini-GZIP, and Mandelbrot benchmarks because AMD64 does certain instructions in HARDWARE, while EMT64 does it via software emulation!

That's the explanation...You could've saved 3 to 4 paragraphs in the babble you pulled out of you butt.

AMD64 is a transitional CPU line that allows customers to run their existing 32bit software but have the option to run AMD64 when it eventually comes.

Its a highly modified K7 + Integrated memory only + 64bit instruction set where its all hardware.

The most common mistake is to think AMD64 is a true 64bit CPU when it clearly isn't. (Have a good read at some forums like Anandtech...Some folks there are just clueless). A true 64bit is something like an Itanium-based CPU. (NASA bought quite a large number of them for a weather simulation cluster).

EMT64 was originally a research experiment called "Yamhill", to see if the P4 can do the equivalent AMD64 functions. It was originally envisioned by Intel to use IA64 instructions so that the P4 and future Intel 32bit CPUs will eventually help the transition to the Itanium line.

This plan was dropped as Intel could easily feed off AMD's effort in pushing AMD64...So "Yamhill" was officially named EMT64...That way, AMD spent their resources in promoting and getting AMD64 infrastructure in place while Intel can just hop along for the ride!

For the most, EMT64 can do most of AMD64 functions in hardware...BUT some cannot be and MUST be emulated in software. This explains why those benchmarks show AMD64 CPUs will be and is faster under certain applications that require those specific instructions.

The explanation being posted in this article is just babble.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/14/05 06:29:10 AM]

Troubleshooting is a form of problem solving, often applied to repair failed pc or window. Troubleshooting is

the best way to Know your computer, and keep track of anything new you do with it. Then when a problem shows

up, ask yourself, "Since the last time my computer was working fine, what changes were made?" In this way, you

can quickly narrow down the possible causes to the most likely culprit.
While using window 7 there are chances that some errors and problems may occur with Windows 7. It becomes

extremely necessary to troubleshoot issues related to Windows 7 in order to ensure that your PC works at its

optimal pace.
According to my opinion “The Window Support “ provides the best trouble shooting service for window 7, Their

service was very professional and resolved my problem completely.

for more:

http://www.thewindowssupport.com
0 0 [Posted by: jone  | Date: 02/15/11 07:11:27 AM]

[1-5]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment