Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Toshiba Libretto U100-S213 Review: Size Does Matter

Started by: Evermore | Date 09/12/05 12:17:33 AM
Comments: 16 | Last Comment:  06/15/07 02:28:00 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-3]

Measurement?
Weight?
HDD 3.5", 2.5", 1.8", 1"?
Max. RAM? Slots?
Etc., etc., etc. ...
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/13/05 03:40:45 AM]

cute little notebook. i'd like something like this for office/travelling work because i believe in having a desktop as a main rig for gaming/heavier work.(upgradability/raw computing power). still, this office minibook/home rig situation is some time away as i am still at college :)
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/14/05 04:50:28 PM]

IMO This Is A Great Product:

I've been using the U100 since June 2005 as a go-anywhere, do-almost-anything, clone of my main computer (Tecra S1) and I'm delighted with it. The fingerprint reader is surprisingly useful and I can now type nearly as fast on the U100 as on the main laptop.

At first I some screen text too small to read but I found a nice solution, described below with some other tweaks:

Display Tweak:
Right-click on desktop, choose Properties, and click the Settings tab. Click the Advanced button and select the Monitor tab. Ignore the warning beneath the box 'Hide modes this monitor cannot display' and uncheck it. Click OK and then change the Screen Resolution slider (in Display Properties) to the previously undisplayed value of 1280 x 1024. This gives a virtual screen larger than the physical screen but when you mouse to top or bottom, the screen pans up or down to suit.

Now click the Advanced button again, open the General tab, and change the DPI setting from 96 to a 'Custom' value of 144 (150% normal size) and click OK. This makes most text 50% larger. (If you do this without altering the Screen Resolution you'll find that with some windows the OK, Cancel, and Apply buttons become inaccessible off the bottom of the screen). Most screens work ok like this although the text may become a bit cramped in some (e.g., Toshiba Power Saver).

Mouse Tweak:
To make the mouse pointer more usable, open Start/Settings/Control Panel/Mouse, select Pointer Options tab, and set pointer speed to maximum and tick the box 'Enhance pointer precision'.

Zooming:
Toshiba's Zoom function is ok for desktop icons but not so good for in Internet Explorer because you have to readjust the zoom every time you change page. I found the best solution is to use Opera as default browser instead of IE. It has an excellent zoom function built-in and you can zoom using the mouse wheel or just by pressing keys 9 or 0.

No Caps Lock Lamp
The small keyboard meant that, at first, I was always pressing Caps Lock when I meant to press letter 'a'. Now I'm used to it, I can type on it nearly as fast as on my main laptop (Tecra S1) so it's not such a big issue. However a Caps Lock warning is still useful.

I found a nice solution at
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:8YCkDdFl2TEJ:www.skarbek.com.au/chapter1 .pdf+background+processes+causing+intermittent+disc+activity+windows+2000&hl=e n.

Here's a direct quote from the link: "You can modify Windows to make a sound each time the Caps Lock button is hit. Do this by clicking on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Accessibility Options and on the Keyboard tab click the Toggle Keys check box. Now when you press Caps Lock it will make a sound, and when you press it again to turn it off it will make a different sound. With this enabled the accidental press immediately becomes noticeable."

It works fine. Assuming the volume control is not set to zero, I get a high-pitched bleep when Caps Lock is enabled and a low bleep when it turns off.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/16/05 12:26:03 PM]
- collapse thread

I note you like using the Libretto
Do you use in primarily for writing/word processing? or for spreadsheets, or what have you? Is it a better system for working on a bus? Or is this more for working in a more stable environment, such as at the table of the local coffee shop?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/23/05 07:57:53 AM]

[1-3]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment