Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
ASUS Extreme N7800 GTX TOP: RADEON X1800 XT Gets an Extreme Rival

Started by: boner | Date 10/24/05 03:07:33 PM
Comments: 46 | Last Comment:  08/25/06 12:24:12 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-6]

you need your hearing checked if you think that's silent. :( The articles is good info to know generally speaking though.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 10/24/05 03:07:33 PM]

Just though comment on the no overclockability.. what about watercooling ?

Would be interessting to see the card hooked up to a Swiftech MCW55™ VGA waterblock.
[url]http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw55.asp[/url]
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 10/24/05 05:25:12 PM]

Ii was surprised to find the OpenGL testing results. the new hotfix released by ATi for their Xik family seems to have majorperformance gains in doom3/quake4, as detailed in this article
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/quake_4_high-end_performance/default.asp
were the x1800__ cards not tested with these newer drivers???
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 10/24/05 09:02:48 PM]

The review was excellent.However, Leadtek WinFast PX7800 GTX reached 538 mhz gpu core.
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=inde x&req=viewarticle&artid=184&page=1
Why the X1800 overclocking capability wasn't questioned in the article?Maybe cuz its pre-overclocked.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 10/25/05 01:10:26 AM]
- collapse thread

Currently there is no generally available software that is capable of overclocking ATI RADEON X1000-series hardware.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 10/25/05 05:12:56 AM]

That is true, the most in depth coverage and tests i have read are on XBit Labs. Kudos for that.
Now when can we have this ATi hotfix investigated :)
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 10/25/05 08:28:02 AM]

I know you spent a lot of time on this. I think the updated drivers help the 7800 series and would have been useful. ATI also could have made use of the Opengl updates. However, this amount of detail takes time so I'm grateful for the work.

I tend to like Leadtek's design a bit better, partially because it makes it very easy to add a larger fan for slightly better temp. But the Leadtek doesn't look like it needs it. As the poster above noted, the Leadtek can score in excess of 530mhz so not getting the Asus card higher is quite sad. Both the XFX and the EVGA solutions top 500 easily and in some cases 515-520 is not out of reach.

The leadtek looks like the best design so far, but there remains some questions as to what the solution will be when the 512mb cards arrive. Leadtek can probably just add a heatpipe or two that feeds over to the front heatsink array but the other designs are going to have issues if there are high heat memory on the back of the card. I do realize memory doesn't usually generate great amounts of heat, but these cards do seem to change that thinking.

Again, kudos for the detail of this article.

:)
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 10/25/05 03:26:31 AM]

You got to be kidding me, stating that an overclocked graphics card is better than another at default! :|

You need to overclock the nvidia card just to match the ATI card.

LOL, i guess this is just marketing at work...
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 11/02/05 01:04:35 PM]
- collapse thread

maybe you are missing something, this is sold like this its the default speed for this edition... its not like he took a card and overclocked it for the review.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 11/03/05 04:26:01 PM]

[1-6]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment