Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Workstation Processors Duel: AMD Opteron against Intel Xeon

Started by: RCooley | Date 12/22/05 04:49:20 AM
Comments: 30 | Last Comment:  10/13/14 02:48:02 AM

[1-3]

Given that most software don't know how to load 8 threads properly, would the picture improve substiantially if you disabled Hyper threading for the Dual Core Xeon? That way it can run 4 threads with the full resources of 4 cores in all of the tests.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 12/22/05 11:28:15 AM]

Overall, the article was OK.

I don't think there is a need for synthetic benchmarks like Sisoft or PCMark as well as games in a workstation article.

I use FLUENT 6.2.16, (Windows and Linux versions), but I'm curious which one did you folks use...64bit one or 32bit one?

As well, which model, solvers/settings did you use? Sometimes, you see one benefit over another.

I don't think there's anything unique about FLUENT's results though, given that engineering apps like these are often properly written to take advantage of multi-core/CPU solutions.

FLUENT also supports clustering. But you need low-latency (expensive) networking to really benefit.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 12/22/05 04:59:11 PM]

This test is biased to software not supporting key performance enhancing features which makes it meaning less. The Test was AMD vs. Intel not what present applications MAY run faster. If you are a developer, Intel has more capable performance boosting than AMD does.

Don't agree with any of this personally test HT and it out performance AMD, any day.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 12/28/05 09:54:13 AM]

[1-3]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment