Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
GeForce 7950 GT: 256MB or 512MB? Foxconn and Gigabyte Graphics Cards Review

Started by: Preoccupied | Date 02/08/07 07:28:33 PM
Comments: 16 | Last Comment:  09/28/07 09:16:51 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-5]

Like I say previous post "Wow great card ok I want this card......Ha silly R600 just around the corner back off nvidiot"
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/08/07 07:28:34 PM]

I thought this was supposed to be a test of whether or not the additional 256mb of memory makes a difference in terms of the card's performance in gaming. I am a little disappointed it did not answer that question at all, but ended up a comparison of clock speed vs. memory. I would have liked to have seen benchmarks with both cards at stock speeds.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/09/07 07:08:09 AM]

I think xbit should have test it on Quake4.
I am fully agree to your article describing there is not any differecne between 256MB and 512MB on Doom3 in HQ Mode and Ultra HQ Mode.
I use a 256MB card and I got same experience on Doom3 you mentioned.
But I think Quake4 coule be different.

In my experience, Running Quake4 in HQ 1600*1200 mode, I got reasonable frame rate. but running in Ultra HQ 1600*1200 mode, the frame rate was so heavily dropped that I could not play Quake4 at all.This situation was not occured in Doom3.

So I realized the deference between Doom3 and Quake4.

I'm sorry that I'm not much of English.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/11/07 09:52:29 PM]

This review is laughable. Xbit you seriusly dont understand why ID recomended 512mb over 256mb on Doom3. It wasnt because of FPS it was because the game does in fact use more then 256mb of the video ram when running high resolutions like 1600x1200 on the Ultra High Quality settings using say 4xAA 8xAF or higher.

Dont belive me ? Go look up the console commands and type the one in that shows you how much memory the game is using on the video card. I can garuntee you that the game will be using more then 256mb. You guys need to actually play the game's instead of running a benchmark and reporting the final FPS.

The lack of memory doesnt lower the FPS more memory doesnt increase the FPS, what it does is store all the data from the Textures and Polygons in the game, lack of memory means the game has to borow from the computer thus when you enter new area's for say when you enter a new area in doom3 and the door Opens you WILL get a sudden stutter or Hiccup in the game and do you know what why ? Because there isnt enough video ram to hold all the textures and Polygons, thus it has to swap back and forth between the system recorces and itself to store all that data.

This review is a joke and it totally misleading to people out i suggest you take it off the website and redo it. It you think Doom3 isa memory hog try playing a game like Oblivion @ those settings (1600x1200 or higher Max details and AA/AF and dont tell me you dont see any stutter or hiccip on that game using 256mb or even 320mb from the new 8800GTS.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/14/07 10:46:06 AM]
- collapse thread

Oh yea one moe thing, the 640mb 8800GTS VS the 320mb 8800GTS. If you guys can buy the 640mb card only if you plan to play games on 1600x1200 or higher resolution and put the details and AA/AF to max. 320mb isnt enough memory to store all that data and run top game's out now and int he future smoothly without hiccup's.

The 320mb isa great deal but like i said memory does play a very imposrtant roll now in video games it doesnt increase or decrease your FPS, what it does do is determine if the game will run smoothly or not.

To show a comparision to people who dont understand all that i have talked about think about this.

Play a game like BF2 or BF2142 with 512mb of system memory on your computer or hell even 1GB and play the game using 1280x1024 and Details to high with some AA/AF on, your FPS will be the same as say 2gb of memory but you will have major stutter and hiccup's making the game unplayable those hiccups and stutters are caused by the computer using the harddrive as virtual memory. The computer is swapping back and forth from the HDD. The same kind of thing applies to the video card's memory dont have enough memory well your gonna have hiccup's in games when playing on demanding settings

0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/14/07 10:54:28 AM]

Who wants either 7950 GT 256 MB or 512 MB now that GeForce 8800 320MB can be had for $50 more?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/14/07 08:32:50 PM]

[1-5]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment