Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Ready to HD: Performance of Contemporary Graphics Accelerators during Video Playback

Started by: Ajax9000 | Date 02/26/07 09:34:42 PM
Comments: 26 | Last Comment:  08/08/07 06:06:34 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-6]

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2923
looked at this recently also, and got wildly different findings for HQV. They were using HQV HD, but you seem to have used standard HQV. Is this correct, and if so, why didn't you try HQV HD.
BTW the Anandtech methods were strongly criticised:
http://anandtech.com/talkarticle.aspx?frmResourceID=2923
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=46572
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/26/07 09:34:42 PM]
- collapse thread

1. HQV and HQV HD are totally different benchmarks with the former shipping and the latter still in beta.

2. We do not have BD/HD DVD optical drives currently in the lab, nor we have BD/HD DVD hardware player for reference. We also do not have BD and HD DVD content.

3. We will use HQV HD in future.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/27/07 05:16:22 AM]

How does all this compare with a yesterday system , let's say XP3200 with a X800 and 1GB RAM . Let us now so then I might feel the urge to upgrade .
Also I will Never use Power/Win DVD player , I want to see the tests done with open source players :MPlayer/Media player classic/BSPlayer/Zoom etc.
Thank you for 11 pages of telling me exactly where I stand.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/27/07 12:19:54 AM]

You should throw in COREAVC software decoder next time. You'll find out what a lot of hype the GFX card decoding is.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/27/07 07:39:41 AM]

A very interesting article but I think there is something that could be added.

Once you know that all graphics cards can play theese content in a new dual core system it would be interesting to see what is, both, graphic anc CPU (and system) power consumption during playback.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/27/07 12:32:57 PM]
- collapse thread

For passively-cooled HTPCs it would be more important to know what the power consumption of a TV-set is, so, there are no plans to measure power consumption of computer systems during media playback.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/27/07 01:47:20 PM]

“The entry-level solutions are different. Such graphics cards either have slow memory with a narrow memory bus like the GeForce 7300 GS or have few pixel processors on board like the Radeon X1300 Pro. Their video processors are thus greatly constrained and do not suit well for playing HD formats with a high bit-rate or resolution, especially if you’ve got a single-core CPU. The rest of today’s graphics cards, from the modest Radeon X1600 Pro and GeForce 7600 GT to the ragingly fast Radeon X1950 XTX and GeForce 8800 GTX, do their job well.”

If you look at the data you will clearly see that the 7300GS is very close to the 7600GT & 7900GS in the tests that are most relevant for home HD video viewing (Blu-ray & HD-DVD) and the X1600 Pro is not even close. Great article but the summary lets it down.
Due to the competitiveness of 7300GS I to would have liked to see how it compared to the other 7 series cards in the quality tests, due to it having less features implemented.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/09/07 02:29:09 AM]

"we could not use commercial Blu-ray or HD DVD discs just because we didn’t have an appropriate optical drive."

What!? Are you fracking serious? Pioneer has had an an internal BD player out for a long time now and how about the Xbox add-on HD-DVD drive? What a load of crap. You could've picked one up at your local Fry's or hell buy one off of Newegg or some other vendor. Sheesh.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/10/07 01:28:07 AM]

[1-6]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment