Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Samsung SyncMaster 940UX: First USB-Monitor Reviewed!

Started by: 31415 | Date 06/13/07 08:27:18 PM
Comments: 25 | Last Comment:  06/23/08 12:00:22 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-4]

What exactly is the graphcs card of this monitor? It is impossible to do full motion video just with the processor.

Also it would be cool if you could connect multiple monitors and keyboards and mice to the same computer and have multiple users using it at the same time. This might be possible under linux or under a virtual machine.

This could reduce the ammount of computers that have to be purchased for computer labs.

Think about it: a modern dual core cpu can probably run as much as 8 internet surfing sessions at one time without any problems.

That would be a good save on money and on electricity.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 06/13/07 08:27:18 PM]

"Windows Vista whose interface requires 3D acceleration"
Vista doesn't require 3d acceleration. Only if you use the aero interface and with this monitor you just turn that off and my guess it will run just fine.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 06/14/07 06:33:23 AM]

Well, this is a good start, but would be better if it were wireless. What I'm looking for is a wireless monitor (the smaller and lighter the better) that I can carry around my home or office from which I can operate my computer. I envision having a pen interace with a pop-up qwerty keyboard, much like a tablet PC. Currently I can control my office computer with my 14.1" laptop using Radmin, but it's rathercumbersome, and I would love to be able to just use something about the size and weight of the monitor portion of the laptop to directly control my main computer (that's where I keep all my audio and video). And it needs to be cheap too, not much more than the cost of an LCD monitor. I see DisplayLink's technology perhaps providing that interface.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 06/15/07 06:54:11 PM]
- collapse thread

Honestly, wireless technology of today is far too slow to be implemented for this type of application. Unless they greatly improve the compression of this video, there is no way it can happen within the next 5 years at LEAST. And talk about a power drain! You would have to plug in this "moniter" wherever you plan on using it. Using a laptop with some RDP software would still be you best solution. And think of the advances with that technology compared to this, I think that will always have the edge.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 06/18/07 07:20:51 AM]

Were there any compression artifacts visible? That was what I was most interested in finding out from this review, and I didn't even see that mentioned. The signal is compressed, after all...
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 06/18/07 11:26:36 AM]

[1-4]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment