Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 vs. Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2GHz: Clash of Strong Wills

Started by: SLee | Date 09/23/03 10:36:05 AM
Comments: 43 | Last Comment:  12/03/06 07:45:26 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-8]

You can use the optimized Q3A DLLs for the P4s too.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/23/03 10:36:05 AM]
- collapse thread

isn't interesting? how does it come that amd processors always nedeed extra files to work almost fine? The truth is intel is a giant and amd is just a little mouse.they are not to compare by any means.
Intel is for real pro...while amd is for low budget market.
the test here: www.tomshardware.com represents the real life tests and not those one from here.
in my opinion P4EE is the best processor at this moment.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/28/03 05:54:19 AM]

http://newageoc.com/opt/
Or if you have Visual Studio 2002-2003 and/or the Intel 7.1 compiler, you can just download the Q3A 1.32 source code and compile them yourself with the optimized settings. The P4 gains about 10-12%.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/23/03 11:12:20 AM]
- collapse thread

Could you please provide me compiled binary version?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/23/03 11:27:36 AM]

I made a compiled version here:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~sulee/Q3A_P4_VS2003.zip
using Visual Studio 2003, with P4 optimizations. I didn't notice much differences in speed between it and the Intel 7.1 compiler. Since I'm not at home, I haven't had the chance to test it but it should work. Also, you can use the same DLLs that you used for this article's Q3 benchmark on a P4.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/23/03 01:44:24 PM]

I would like to know why you test a prototype CPU against production one. The prototype here is the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. Intel web site does not speek about such a CPU, there is no datasheet for it and of cource, it won't go to retail market. Just OEMs will be able to get this in very limited quantities. Thinking this way, why not to include early Prescott samples and Athlon 64 FX for socket 939 and with DDR2 support manufactured by 90nm technology?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/23/03 12:32:23 PM]

Were you using a history setting of 1? Was at least 375 MB of RAM allocated to Photoshop (this is a Photoshop setting). If not, try it and you might see the L3 cache provide a benefit.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/23/03 12:56:04 PM]

Well here is the first step in the struggle for the top chat performing chips from the top chip makers in the world. intel will always lose this struggle as they have always done in the past. AMD cannot give up the idea of the second place. they have more than what it takes to war agaist any compitition from intel.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 09/25/03 05:13:35 AM]

Um, how fast does a P4 have to be to match an Athlon 64 FX?

Have a good think about that. It demostrates to us how efficient the Athlon 64/FX series of CPUs are.

The closest performer would be the Pentium-M. Clock for clock, it gives the P4 a spank and a bit. When a 1.6Ghz matches a P4 2.4Ghz...It does say something...And guess wha the Pentium-M really is? That's right...a Pentium III with a few P4 features.

Notice how Intel places very little emphasis on the performance of the Pentium-M and directly compared to the P4?

I like to see the Pentium-M (Dothan with 2MB L2) at 2Ghz compare to the P4 EE (Emergency Edition).

And how inefficient the P4 turns out to be as it increases speed in the future...What was the magical number? Over 100W of heat produced by upcoming P4s?

if you run a normal application without SSE2 and HT, you'll see P4 (any version) will get its butt serverely spanked.

Not only that, Opterons (SMP versions of the Athlon 65 FX) scale up far better than Xeons. You'll notice that large educational institutions like Universities have decided to adopt Opterons for their clusters.

"my opinion P4EE is the best processor at this moment" - doru

You should really get your head out of the sand. The best processor from Intel is the Pentium-M. (some dub it as "Intel's Athlon".)

If they only scaled the speed higher, you'll see that the P4 architecture is highly inefficient. P4s are the most environmentally wasteful CPU of all time.

In fact, the absolute best architecture Intel ever developed is the P6. Its still going strong in its latest incarnation as the Pentium-M.

From the Pentium Pro to Pentium-M...Still going strong.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 10/09/03 03:12:56 PM]

um.... is it just me or do these test remarks keep looking like the person writing it LOVES amd and DISPISES intel? truthfully, it doesnt look like either is the winner, AMD looks like a gaming processor, and these days, as long as u have a strong processor, and a GREAT video card, gaming will be fine. As for 3d applications, im noticing INTEL is on top, even with the plain 3.2.

just wanted to know if i was the only moron noticing this.... im never going AMD, i dont care price, i want quality. a dozen of the little more than dozen friends i have switched to intel.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 10/19/03 09:54:36 PM]

haha fuck you all
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 12/07/03 01:35:13 PM]

[1-8]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment