Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 Mainboard Review

Started by: Skywalker | Date 11/29/07 07:23:28 PM
Comments: 20 | Last Comment:  02/08/08 06:22:55 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-4]

hey, at least it wasn't a 975X motherboard review

(referring to the 2900pro review)
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 11/29/07 07:23:29 PM]

Great Board well reviews but still expansive at my place

Did this motherboard support upcoming Nahalem chipset?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 12/01/07 04:52:09 PM]

What are you supposed to do with 2 Gigabit ethernet connections? I have been surfing for the answer, but can't find an answer. Will paying for two DSL internet accounts to use 2 MOBO ethernet connections really improve Internet speed?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 12/01/07 08:42:15 PM]
- collapse thread

Well, have you even thought about being used in a network? Hmm, I guess not.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 12/03/07 06:11:22 PM]

This review did not address a very important (and in my opinion, crucial) shortcoming of the Gigabyte X38 motherboard. It does NOT, by default, enable Gen2 speed (5Gb/second) on the x16 slot. If you insert a Gen2 capable graphics card into its x16 slots (either one of them), it ALWAYS comes up in Gen1 speed (i.e. 2.5Gb/second). Gigabyte does its customers a huge disservice by deliberately choosing to suppress one of the X38's most important selling points. Why would Gigabyte do this? Because its engineers don't believe that the X38's Gen2 interface is robust and beyond reproach? Or is it because they think they don't want to expose the Gen2 capability until the PCI SIG releases compliance tests for Gen2 chipsets and endpoints?

Either way, Gigabyte is dishonest about their claims on "Gen2 support". It says so loud and clear on the box packaging. But their system BIOS does not yet allow this speed - even the latest version of sBIOS posted on their website does not expose Gen2. Remember when disk drive companies got sued because they didn't clearly explain what "megabytes" and "gigabytes" meant? Maybe Gigabyte will get a call from a money-grubbing American lawyer one of these days and they will wise up. Doing business in the US requires that you dont' run afoul of these scumbag lawyers, so consider yourselves warned, Gigabyte.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 12/04/07 11:43:01 PM]

[1-4]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment