Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
The Single-Decker Champ: ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 Graphics Card Review

Started by: Mr. BonBon | Date 02/18/08 01:37:52 PM
Comments: 36 | Last Comment:  04/20/08 11:21:00 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-7]

That's weird because other sites show solid gains with the 3870X2 over 3870 in games like COH, COD4, ET:QW and etc....

Maybe something is wrong with your setup.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/18/08 01:37:52 PM]

Good job! nice article - quad crossfire in month should be even more interesting. 3 way sli vs 2 slot quad is the high light of my year. lets not forget mr nvidia says dual gpu solutions are not as goos as single.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/18/08 01:41:27 PM]
- collapse thread

That's right. My 9-month old 8800 Ultra still bests AMD's best - without any OC'ing too.
Yeah, I'd say Mr.NVIDIA knows what he's talking about.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/18/08 01:43:57 PM]

Yea and how much is a 8800 Ultra, almost double of what the 3870 X2 is.

0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/18/08 03:42:38 PM]

Just as in my comments regarding CPU reviews, I would begin by saying that I trust xbit labs more than any other wanna-bees out there, just because I'm reading those articles for years now and they never used to lie before, at least I believe so.

Of course, a number of trusted sources, like anandtech, posted a different picture of the X2, so I must confess I'm a bit puzzled, too. Not that I would ever go and by a X2 by myself - I'm pretty damn paranoid about the bad consequences of such a made-up design.

To sum up, this is a cowardly solution to me, which, as noted in the review, is intended just to give a little more time for the AMD engineers to come up with something more elegant. For now, I don't see any reasons for buying an ambiguous transitional product as the X2. The past has shown that such sandwiches get blown away by a next generation single-chip designs pretty soon.

But I would buy an ordinary 3870. It's such a bless for non-demanding users, with such a low power envelope... Nice :)
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/18/08 03:35:43 PM]
- collapse thread

i really think ati is pushing for new tech based on old tech, 2 gpu's in one card and 1 slot with a water cooler = 4 gpu's with 2 slots. with the right drivers this could be a great product. we see with time?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/18/08 08:55:32 PM]

The keyword by all multi-stuff (CPUs, GPUs) is scalability - or how much do you gain by multiplying your raw processing powe. In the case of SLI/Crossfire, the speedup ratio often falls below 1, which is absolutely scary...

Would you buy a 4-core CPU that SOMETIMES is slower than a 2-core? Or even than a single core? All 3-SLI or Quad-Crossfire setups I've seen being benchmarked so far suffer from such pitfalls. See that link, it's a total disgrace:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3183&p=3

The X2 review showed that there is a decent amount of games which don't profit from the second GPU onboard, I don't see any purpose in adding another pair of GPUs to the soup... Your games that used to run fast will run even faster, and those who didn't won't see any profit at all.

Now that's a goog idea, kudos to AMD/nVidia for providing their customers with the opportunity to waste 4 digit sums on dead-born technology... But you're right, having the X2 to perform even that high is a miracle for itself.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/19/08 07:11:06 AM]

Any chances of getting power readings included in this review too?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/18/08 05:21:14 PM]
- collapse thread

+1
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/19/08 03:33:48 AM]

Thank you for a good review, this is why I always wait for XBit to publish their reviews before I make any judgment about a new product.

I would however prefer that the following be mentioned:

The problems with Crossfire and Sli's micro stuttering, I have an SLi system myself and I am not very happy with SLI and a card build around Sli and Crossfire with the micro stutter issue is a real deal breaker for me, it makes gaming an irritation instead of a pleasure. Not to mention that Sli does not work in the one game that I spend most of my time in Lord of the Rings Online.

The X2 is not a mature product by any means, I do not think that it can be crowned the fasted card on the market due to its low average scoring. Winning in Synthetic benchmarks is not a champion. Though it did show potential in some games the minimum frames where always lower than the Nvidia parts.

I am however glad that Ati found some sort of bragging rights for the next month or two so that their image is lifted a bit. As mention by some other comments we need strong competition in the market and I am glad that Ati still has some fight left in them.

Again thank you for a very thorough article!
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/18/08 10:30:47 PM]

I am so confused... i thought this card was a dual RV680 gpu effort, with pci-ex 2.0 and gddr4... or am i simply going mad? where is the RV680 if i might be so bold as to noob myself here :)
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/18/08 10:45:41 PM]
- collapse thread

You've been living in a dream world vampmonk.

R670 is the 3870 512 with GDDR4 and PCI-e 2.0

R680 is the 3870X2 1GB with GDDR3 and PCI-e 1.1

The slower ram doesn't make that big of a difference in performance, and PCI-e 2 isn't mainstream yet.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/19/08 11:54:09 AM]

Why didn't they use the Catalyst 8.2 drivers? They were released Feb. 13
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 02/19/08 10:36:25 AM]

[1-7]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment