Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 280 and 260: Gaming Performance Review

Started by: Nictron | Date 08/06/08 10:26:11 PM
Comments: 5 | Last Comment:  08/10/08 03:31:30 AM

[1-5]

Could you please add an analysis page on the following two items:

- Minimum FPS rendered and
- Performance on higher AA modes.

The reason I am asking is that I noticed that the 4870 has much better minimum frames and that will put the 200 series at a disadvantage in normal gameplay as the 4870 will be smoother and has less fluctuation.

Thank you
0 0 [Posted by: Nictron  | Date: 08/06/08 10:26:11 PM]

I love this website. They are definitly one of the best. But i have to say i dont like there test systems which im sure they have good reason for using, but what i find out is that with these cards specifically the results on other sites are much better with other test systems. Ive also noticed the same thing with the review for AMD QUAD FX platform.
0 0 [Posted by: lm2nlce  | Date: 08/07/08 12:21:24 PM]

Sorry, but your review is close to worthless. Look at your comments of the 9800 GX2 being 'better' in some games. Perhaps in terms of pure framerate, sometimes, but only with AA disabled, otherwise 9800 GX2 gets a beating everywhere. But still with AA disabled, you have microstuttering, slowdowns and lacking SLI profiles. I had both cards, the 280 GTX is miles ahead of the 9800 GX2 in terms of true and smooth playability. Reviews should be based on playability and not 'fraps' framerates. In times of multigpu GFX reviews must be done much more careful, e.g. look at Hardocp, greetings
0 0 [Posted by: BadONE  | Date: 08/07/08 01:53:01 PM]

I agree - you've got to tell the whole story - particularly with SLi/Xfire (GX2 being an example of SLi).

For example I was looking at getting 2*4850 - sounds a good idea as pretty cheap, power requirements aren't silly, on the face of it good performance - however doing a bit of research uncovered:

- for many of games Xfire either showed no improvement or didn't work at all (i.e. crashed). My general experience has been Xfire setups crash more and work worse even on games that it's seems to work for in reviews (e.g. UT3 may run fine in reviews but several people I know with Xfire 3870's just gave up in the end and bought an 8800 because it was so flakey).

- for many games there is minimal improvement to the MIN fps over one 4850 unless you run at silly resolutions or with very high AA. Who cares if it's powering along at an averge of > 60fps if it keeps dropping right down at key moments!

Sure for some games Xfire works but it's just not worth the grief - you'd be much better off with a better single card (e.g. in my case 4870) even if it looses some review tests.
0 0 [Posted by: Dribble  | Date: 08/08/08 04:18:20 AM]

the sad fact remains that the retailers who buy the card in the initial price refuse to lower the prices even after the price drop so that they wont have any loss. so the AMD HD4800 series seems to be a better and lower priced solution for ppl over her in the middle east...
0 0 [Posted by: PFX  | Date: 08/10/08 03:31:30 AM]

[1-5]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment