Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Dell 2408WFP Monitor Review

Started by: monkey | Date 12/18/08 04:53:11 PM
Comments: 6 | Last Comment:  12/24/08 09:19:32 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-3]

Thanks for the great article.

Any word on input lag with this monitor? I've often heard that mentioned as the Achilles heel of these models.

Thanks.
0 0 [Posted by: monkey  | Date: 12/18/08 04:53:11 PM]
- collapse thread

I didn't measure input lag, cause I didn't take it as a serious problem (http://www.xbitlabs.com/a...d-parameters_7.html#sect0).

Maybe I'm wrong.
0 0 [Posted by: Oleg Artamonov  | Date: 12/19/08 02:33:33 AM]

Hey, here's some 'splaining why it is the Achilles heel of many monitors... (I have a Dell 2407FPW next to my 24" CRT Sony GDM-FW900).

When we gamers play an online game like UT3 for example, the internet ping is like 40ms, which is "excellent" ping. However, if the input lag is 55-60ms like with Dell 2407FPW's and some other 24" PVA-based monitors, it would actually make the total "lag" more like 100ms, since it takes 40ms to receive information from the internet, and then another 60ms for the monitor to display it (artifically trying to improve response time at the expense of overall display lag). That is with vsync disabled. Turning on vsync or triple buffering could add as much as 32ms of lag on any 60Hz monitor.
The huge difference in ping can cost a huge amount of would-be frags, and cost many of my cats with their 9-lives..
0 0 [Posted by: Bo_Fox  | Date: 12/24/08 09:25:14 AM]

And an average online server within the country typically takes about 100ms of ping to connect to them.. which is probably the maximum acceptable amount for most Counter Strike players. If there's 90ms of ping, adding another 50ms (via input lag) to that can almost completely ruin the player's experience.
0 0 [Posted by: Bo_Fox  | Date: 12/24/08 12:27:06 PM]

Dear Oleg,

You present a monitor profile triangle where the green primary is x=0,18, y=0,65 roughly.
Do you trust this result?
I mean, you definitely measured them with Spyder (2 or 3, I do not know). BUT, would you take i1display 2 then the green primary appears at x=0,22, y=0,71 roughly.
The latter result is MUCH CLOSER to what Dell advertise, what is written in many reviews (who used i1dsiplay 2 device, though, for instance, on tftcentral.co.uk) and what is written in the monitor's EDID.

I personally, used Spyder 3 on my 2408wfp, got exactly what you got, then started investigating the matters and eventually tried i1display 2. It gives totally different for the green primary (as quoted above) and there are NO problems with covering sRGB in sRGB mode if you measure with i1display 2.

Having in memory your review where you used a monochromator rented in SINP, I would be happy to see any consistent check and eventual proof of which colorimeter is better for this particular monitor.

For example, is it possible to have power spectrum distribution for pure green, red and blue? The rest of calculations I can do by Maple.

With best regards,
Alexey

PS I have sent you few e-mails on you msu e-mail (opened clicking on your name) on the problem with more details and thoughts.
0 0 [Posted by: alex-kas  | Date: 12/19/08 06:37:26 PM]

Good review..............all I need now is the $ to buy one
0 0 [Posted by: alpha0ne  | Date: 12/24/08 09:19:32 PM]

[1-3]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment