Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Cooler Master V10: 10 Heatpipes, 3 Heatsinks, 2 Fans and a TEC Module. A Super-Cooler?

Started by: Zorkenius | Date 02/08/09 12:54:37 AM
Comments: 7 | Last Comment:  05/12/09 08:28:50 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-6]

Linpack 32-bit в оболоке LinX 0.5.5

Thank you for review.
Waiting for reviews of the fans (especially "Magma" )
0 0 [Posted by: Zorkenius  | Date: 02/08/09 12:54:37 AM]
- collapse thread

Sorry about that Fixed now.
0 0 [Posted by: Anna  | Date: 02/08/09 09:13:02 AM]

Now we can learn about new coolers and improve our Russian vocabulary at the same time! As regards Linpack, though, the 64-bit version yields a noticeably greater power dissipation than the 32-bit one, so it might be preferable to test using that in the future. One can also choose a larger problem size, whereas it's capped at about 2GB in the 32-bit build.

Anyway, a disappointing result from this cooler, but not entirely unexpected. The use of the TEC in this fashion is somewhat ingenious (unlike in other implementations, if the TEC fails, then the cooler doesn't stop working entirely), but I agree that the extra complexity and expense is not warranted for the minimal benefit it provides.
0 0 [Posted by: MTX  | Date: 02/08/09 06:18:36 AM]

Thank you for the interesting review.

:-)

I'd like to point out that maybe there is a little inaccuracy regarding the use of a thermal diode for the TEC control, which is not useless, in my opinion.

In fact the power needed for keeping a constant thermal drop across the TEC module is related (if not proportional) to the heat that passes through the module itsel.

This means that when the CPU is idle and produces less power, you can use the module at much less than its maximum 76W of power consumption and yet have your 4-6° gain in temperature. So I think that it is very unlikely that the TEC is operated at its maximum power when the system is idle and the thermal diode detects lower temepratures..

You can chek, for example, this data sheet of a TEC from melcor: http://www.melcor.com/CP_Series/CP2-127-06L.PDF

0 0 [Posted by: Tocchio  | Date: 02/11/09 03:37:10 PM]

another coolermaster failure... and it consumes extra wattage for such low performance !.
0 0 [Posted by: 3Dkiller  | Date: 02/11/09 06:32:58 PM]

Even though the whole TEC and a mini-windpipe inside of your PC-thing sounds lucrative, I really would suggest to anybody seriously considering such extreme options to opt for a liquid cooling setup, it is literally a step away from such a bizzare concoction that the CM V10 is, and not to mention, a hell of a lot better. I get 31/41 idle/load on my 4.0Ghz i7 965, and if I ever needed to OC (within reason of course) it further I could without breaking the 50-60c barrier under load.
0 0 [Posted by: storpedo  | Date: 02/17/09 08:18:01 AM]

yeah nice review but shame on cooler master the use of a tec was most probably entirely un-needed in this case and as seen does little to offer better cooling than say a couple of faster fans would do for far less power nice try but if im going to spend 200+ dollars(NZ$) on a cooler i'd be better off going with water cooling for a much better and quieter result
0 0 [Posted by: Athlonite  | Date: 05/12/09 08:28:50 AM]

[1-6]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment