Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Quick Lab Report: AMD Phenom II X2 550 and Athlon II X2 250

Started by: uibo | Date 05/21/09 03:13:49 AM
Comments: 9 | Last Comment:  05/29/09 09:28:34 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-6]

Nice "bit" of info!
Would like to see some power consumption numbers and perhaps even some undervolting.
I have been holding off a htpc purchase because they don't go low enough for me yet
0 0 [Posted by: uibo  | Date: 05/21/09 03:13:49 AM]

Nice article, but your explanation of the 2 MB L2 with AMDs "modular structur" looks like BS to me, sorry.

They just made it bigger, like with the Turion Ultras @65nm. You do not need the "modular structur" argument for that little achievment. Cache sizes are changed quite often, just look at Intel's CPUs.

poka

Bingle
0 0 [Posted by: Bingle  | Date: 05/21/09 04:35:16 AM]
- collapse thread

I brought this up in the forums here a while ago. Check this out:
http://news.softpedia.com...ll-Die-Sizes-100596.shtml

This seems plausible to me. While I won't deny that AMD might be able to fuse caches, it doesn't seem right. Smaller chips are cheaper to build. Cheaper to build usually means cheaper to buy!
0 0 [Posted by: cheeseman  | Date: 05/22/09 01:35:09 AM]

What is plausible for you now ?
That Propus and Regor have different masks ? Then we have the same opinion.

I just do not like the article because naive folks now believe that Regor is a Deneb die with lots of disabled stuff .. which is totally incorrect. People also believe now, that the L2 of a *disabled* core could be reused of another core...

But Regor has an own mask, proof is the different CPU ID. E.g. F62h for Regor, as seen in the xbit article. Propus is F52h, Denebs are F42h.
Istanbul: I dont know yet ;-)

cheers

Bingle
0 0 [Posted by: Bingle  | Date: 05/22/09 01:04:41 PM]

You right, Bingle. I have received updated info from my source and now I have agreed with you. Athlon II X2 has the another native dual-core die. My full article will describe this info.
0 0 [Posted by: Gavric  | Date: 05/22/09 04:38:11 PM]

i cant wait on the full review ! man i love this site
0 0 [Posted by: 3Dkiller  | Date: 05/21/09 09:19:35 PM]

Looks like I've found my next CPU purchase
0 0 [Posted by: alpha0ne  | Date: 05/22/09 12:04:21 AM]

In the near future, Intel will have Core i5 and Core 2 in the mid range. Therefore it looks like they will phase out the pentium dual core series.
This gives an interesting picture. The Ahtlon II and Phenom II have shown, that they can compete with the Core2 with a narrower clock speed gap (100 MHz to 200Mhz) as compared to earlier Athlons (600MHz to 800Mz) and Phenoms (400MHz).
This means that when the i5 is launched, AMD will again have no competition in the upper and mid range, just like now.
I'm a big fan of AMD especially after using an Intel rig, and love their steady approach, but their CPU business does need a boost- they need upper range CPUs and also new mobile CPUs.
How things will pan out may be interesting, but AMD needs to speed up its CPU designing.
0 0 [Posted by: vikramsbox  | Date: 05/22/09 08:00:12 PM]

Sorry if my last post was a little sloppy. Yes, I do agree with your original post and did when I posted mine. What I said was plausible was the article I linked.

The roadmaps from mar09 say that orochi and 32nm won't be out until 2011. Yet, we are now hearing of 32nm and 28nm from GloFo in 2010. Maybe, just maybe, this whole spin-off thing was a good idea.
0 0 [Posted by: cheeseman  | Date: 05/29/09 09:28:34 AM]

[1-6]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment