Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Nehalem Speeding Up: Intel Core i7-975 XE and Core i7-950 Review

Started by: TAViX | Date 06/02/09 10:20:28 PM
Comments: 7 | Last Comment:  04/10/14 07:26:00 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-4]

1000$ for only 1 processor??? You're joking right??? lol.
0 0 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 06/02/09 10:20:28 PM]
- collapse thread

Obviously, the highest end of Nehalem processors are only for those people who use computers to make money. Those people who charge per computing task make more money when they finish a computing task faster. For those people the extra $500 pays for itself.
0 0 [Posted by: philosofool  | Date: 06/05/09 01:54:27 PM]

What a CPU the Intel Core i7-975XE ! Amazing that you can get this in a Laptop, the world's most powerful at the best prices at:

http://www.lpc-digital.co.../3302695/product/cl-221-3
0 0 [Posted by: lpcap  | Date: 06/03/09 11:22:59 AM]

The lack of top performance in games is really quite irrelevant because these processors will run any game far above the 60fps threshold of most monitors: the gaming bottle neck can only really be the graphics card if you have one of these processors.

The point of gaming benchmarks with processors is really academic. Such benchmarks are good test of CPU performance because they emphasize a diverse and complex instructions that simultaneously tax several elements of processor architecture: cache size, cache speed, clock speed. In fact, one might conjecture that what this article has shown is that with complex instruction sets (e.g. video games), the demands on the cache actually slow processing: since each thread effectively requires its separate data in the cache, the demands on the cache are very high when multi-threading is on. Don't know that for sure, it could be something more buggy, but since hyperthreading gives such a radical performance increase in other applications, it suggests that there's nothing wrong with hyperthreading in Nehalem per se, but with hyperthreading in this particular task. I wish I understood this stuff better.
0 0 [Posted by: philosofool  | Date: 06/05/09 01:47:12 PM]
- collapse thread

Indeed, cache contention seems, to me, to be the most likely explanation for the observations here. I doubt that these games either approach the 3-4 instruction/cycle maximum throughput of the cores or tax the memorly bandwidth significantly, so I had naively expected either no difference in performance with HT on, or possibly modest gains. However, the actual results suggest that the threads of games may be more accurately characterized as individual tasks operating on moderately sized datasets, with little data parallelism being extracted. It could be that with the cheap threading that HT brings there will be more scope for data parallelism in future games, however.
0 0 [Posted by: MTX  | Date: 06/07/09 12:42:56 PM]

i was wondering what processor cominabtion works best whit mainbord, chip combination.

end overkloking don't they have speedsingronisation in bios for the ultimated frequence speed on the mainbord.
0 0 [Posted by: xavier.s.bapthiste  | Date: 09/07/09 11:58:01 PM]

[1-4]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment