Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Gainward GTS 250 2048MB Limited Edition: Two against One

Started by: mascotzel | Date 06/16/09 03:51:24 PM
Comments: 4 | Last Comment:  06/22/09 10:17:53 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-3]

you missjudged one "high"
2GB are useless on such a card (your tests show it,and Crysis is not a game a GTS 250 can conquer in 1920*1200) and add to much to its pricepoint

in my country it's almost as expensive as an GTX 260-216/ATI 4870-1GB (and the gainward GTS 250 512/1024 are some of the cheapest on the market)
I can't find prices for the US
0 0 [Posted by: mascotzel  | Date: 06/16/09 03:51:24 PM]
- collapse thread

I wouldn't say useless, because I noticed a slight framerate advantage almost always, a very slight one, but it's there. So slight one could say inside the test error but it was consistent.
I'd also note that only 6 months ago or so 512 ram was plenty, but now I've seen 896 choke on a GTX260 running out of space, so newer games coming in the next year might need more than 1 gig ram, and on higher rezzes and with aa af cranked...
Anyway the price han't hit here yet - I read Palit owns them and is doing a new USA rollout with special nv cards under several brands excluding the palit name in the USofA, at least I thought it was gainward and not galaxy.
Yes, the 2 gigs is gimmicky but somehow I think it will become useful shortly enough.
0 0 [Posted by: SiliconDoc  | Date: 06/22/09 10:09:49 PM]

2gb memory ram on the GTS250 aka 8800GTX is overkill, no fps improvements over 1gb version its all marketing.
0 0 [Posted by: 3Dkiller  | Date: 06/17/09 01:52:30 AM]

The 2 gigs could become advantageous in newer games at lower rezzes that are more demanding at lower rezzes being newer and more complex.
I know it's a stretch, but it did show 6% in crysis warhead already which is very demanding, so... I guess one could hope in the next year they'ell be some more advantages.
6% is no sneezy increase when ati is battling nvidia on some head to head card war so I won't discount it.
The review didn't show lowest framerates either ( I know it's very difficult except for a few games that make it easy with test demos) so that could be a pretty significant hidden advantage.
I may have missed a comment on it in the review but I don't think one was there.
So higher ram usually does better keeping minimum framerates higher at their lowest spot, that may make it worth it.
0 0 [Posted by: SiliconDoc  | Date: 06/22/09 10:17:53 PM]

[1-3]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment