Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Breakthroughs of the Decade: Products and Technologies That Changed the World

Started by: dragosmp | Date 12/26/10 01:44:54 AM
Comments: 4 | Last Comment:  01/13/11 01:45:16 AM

[1-4]

A mishap:
"But AMD did not only launch a better AMD Athlon, it also released the AMD Duron, a low-cost chip without L2 cache at all, that did not only blew away Celeron, but actually managed to rival much more expensive Pentium III."
Duron processors did have L2 cache, 64kB if I remember correctly. It was 1/4 of Thunderbird's L2 cache, but enough to have decent performance. Pentium II derived Celeron had no L2 cache. My first computer was a Duron-powered PC and I remember at the time (after a bit of tinkering with a HB pencil on the contacts) it performed better than entry level P4s that had a price 4-5 times higher.

Great article, it was a pleasure reading it.
0 0 [Posted by: dragosmp  | Date: 12/26/10 01:44:54 AM]

Thanks, excellent article.

hehe, btw, even now I still use the iPod Nano from the first generation. There were good stuff indeed.
0 0 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 12/27/10 01:49:03 AM]

MISTAKES

1ST
"But AMD did not only launch a better AMD Athlon, it also released the AMD Duron, a low-cost chip without L2 cache at all, that did not only blew away Celeron, but actually managed to rival much more expensive Pentium III."

AMD Durons had a 64 KB Cache. it was better than the P3's because of the faster FSB & AMD switched to an exclusive cache design which means it had a total of 384KB of cache memory to work with.

2ND

"The PCI Express bus is based on point-to-point serial links and hence it is very scalable both in terms the amount of lanes as well as clock-speed. It features a number of innovations not available previously on any internal buses. Nonetheless, the PCIe fully maintains software compatibility with conventional PCI. Already the first version of the standard provided 250MB/s of bandwidth per single PCI Express lane, compared to 33MB/s provided by PCI 32-bit/33MHz."

They are right about PCI-Express Number's, but they are wrong with the PCI bus bandwidth. The PCI bus bandwidth is 133.33 MB/s shared with whatever is on the pci bus.

3RD

"Nintendo has been producing various games since the year 1887."

I did not know that Nintendo made games for 127 Years. Proof read your articles.

4TH

"Perhaps, HDD makers should integrate large amounts of flash storage into traditional hard drives and create ultra-fast hybrid storage devices;"

They have made hybrid HD's. They've been out for a while now.
Proof: "http://www.newegg.com/Pro...tem=N82E16822148591" Look at how many customer reviews their is on the product page.
0 0 [Posted by: macintoshci@yahoo.com  | Date: 12/28/10 01:45:52 PM]

I think its too early to talk about the influential technologies of 2010
0 0 [Posted by: PFX  | Date: 01/13/11 01:45:16 AM]

[1-4]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment