Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Personal Computers of 2011: Eleven Predictions

Started by: dragosmp | Date 01/04/11 01:36:27 AM
Comments: 15 | Last Comment:  01/28/11 12:52:12 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-7]

About the changing of the way we overclock, it is true that one can't OC any more a SB processor the way we used to. There are two things though that I'd like to point out:
1.$$$-aware customers and low cost OCers didn't really considered Intel as a real option, except in the brief Celeron 300A days and a bit in the C2D-based Pentium DC days. What is lost now is competition in the 100 to 200$ market for offering the best OCing chip. Intel practically set a great pass to AMD, now AMD has to touch-down with Bulldozer.
2.In the 2000's PCI clocks were tied to FSB, thus overclocking was difficult as they are now in SB. We could have gained most 10% without PCI/AGP lock. Now there are many more components integrated on the boards, which have higher speed and thus are more sensitive - the result is only 1-2% bclk is possible in SB. Intel can introduce a second PLL on-board to take care of all the rest clocks except bclk and recycle a synchronization protocol between these two clocks from the FSB-era chipsets. They haven't implemented that in SB probably because of the complexity of the new architecture. If they're gonna do it or not in Ivy Bridge, it depends on how much mind-share they're gonna loose with enthusiasts due to the solution adopted in SB.
0 0 [Posted by: dragosmp  | Date: 01/04/11 01:36:27 AM]

most of those predictions are observations made after the fact rather then predictions.

For example, the ARM vs x86 war prediction? hardly a prediction now that MS officially announced windows 8 will support both ARM And x86.

Tablet PCs are the new phenomenon? not a prediction, it already happened.

Accelerated Computing Era Begins? not a prediction, happened already.

Now you do make SOME actual predictions, for example, "Motion-Controlling Set to Become Big" is a prediction. The fact that motion controlling exists is an observation, the prediction you make is that it is going to be a big success.
0 0 [Posted by: taltamir  | Date: 01/07/11 05:04:24 PM]
- collapse thread

Predictions can be made based on observations of trends.

Your comment is a strange one to say at least.

Have you already bought a tablet PC? Do you know how many units have been sold so far?

Do you use a GPGPU software? Do you know how many users do so?
0 1 [Posted by: Anton  | Date: 01/08/11 02:50:58 PM]

Remember when you predicted DX11 games to take over the horizon faster than a locust outbreak, for last year? Nope, only 7 games out so far that support DX11 (IIRC.. look it up on Wikipedia). http://en.wikipedia.org/w...s_with_DirectX_11_support

Hahahha!! Sorry for giving you a hard time, but yeah.. sorry man, again.. spank me real hard! Seriously!

BTW, I love articles like this--reading about predictions from a well-sourced editor.
0 0 [Posted by: Bo_Fox  | Date: 01/07/11 09:53:26 PM]
- collapse thread

Even based on your link, 14 DX11 games have been released so far. This is quite a number, considering PC video game market realities.
0 1 [Posted by: Anton  | Date: 01/08/11 03:00:00 PM]

LOL.. but there were actually more DX10 games released in 2007 than DX11 games in 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/w...s_with_DirectX_10_support

Plus, WoW Catalcysm only supports DX11 through an experimental command line mode, like UT2004 supporting DX9 "experimentally".

Once DX7 launched near the end of 1999, there were like 80+ games supporting it by the end of 2000.

I do wish that you were right about DX11 being the biggest DX launch ever (as part of the 2010 predictions), but with the business shift to consoles, maybe, maybe DX12 will indeed be it if PS4 and XboxNext uses some of DX12-exclusive features.
0 0 [Posted by: Bo_Fox  | Date: 01/10/11 02:50:33 PM]

I just want to get rid of bios.
0 0 [Posted by: Marburg U  | Date: 01/08/11 03:20:01 AM]
- collapse thread

Well, you are going to this year if you get a new PC
0 1 [Posted by: Anton  | Date: 01/08/11 03:01:58 PM]

3d will never become standard in its current form. The glasses are a pain and give many people headaches. It will remain a niche until it gets rid of the glasses.
0 0 [Posted by: beck2448  | Date: 01/09/11 09:00:54 AM]
- collapse thread

And like 20% of people wore glasses in the 80's. Not a niche at all.. that's like more than a billion!
0 0 [Posted by: Bo_Fox  | Date: 01/10/11 02:51:47 PM]

Just because AMD bought ATI does not mean NVIDIA is required to create their own x86 hardware and compete with AMD and Intel (even though they have talked about it). AMD simply bought ATI meaning they didn't have to do anything with their GPU design and obviously AMD already had their x86. Why would that make NVIDIA required to create x86 platform to compete. Over half of all GPUs used in systems (more in laptops) are NVIDIA and they just released the end all be all of GPUs (GTX 580) which will have people drooling for the next year. I don't think this will make or break the biggest IGP in the world. Being a little dramatic are we?
0 0 [Posted by: LedHed  | Date: 01/12/11 10:22:02 AM]
- collapse thread

Well I guess you haven't seen that the GTX 580 loses to the AMD 5970 2GB.

Also NVIDIA settled a lawsuit with Intel, got paid 1.5 Billion $ and got the rights to make x86 CPUs. I want to see how they use that to their advantage.
0 0 [Posted by: PFX  | Date: 01/13/11 01:28:17 AM]

"NVIDIA settled a lawsuit with Intel, got paid 1.5 Billion $ and got the rights to make x86 CPUs."

You should really read the news before commenting:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/n...y_Nvidia_1_5_Billion.html

1. Nvidia will get paid $1.5B by 2017. It will get $300 million on January 18, 2011: http://www.sec.gov/Archiv...19312511005134/dex101.htm
2. Nvidia not only did not obtain any rights to make x86 chips, but also did not obtain a license to make Intel CPU-compatible chipsets.

Nvidia still needs to make APUs to compete against AMD and Intel head-to-head. The question is whether it is possible to develop an ARM-based chip with performance comparable to desktop-class x86 CPUs/APUs.
0 1 [Posted by: Anton  | Date: 01/13/11 09:22:07 AM]

"Over half of all GPUs used in systems (more in laptops) are NVIDIA"

You should check your facts before posting: http://www.xbitlabs.com/n...ket_Mercury_Research.html
0 1 [Posted by: Anton  | Date: 01/13/11 09:17:32 AM]

the one thing i do not get is that the architecture stil is based on the 8086 architecuur, interupt architectuur, not task technologie end architectuur
0 0 [Posted by: chipmonsky  | Date: 01/28/11 12:52:12 AM]

[1-7]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment