Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
New Evolution Spiral: 3 TB Hard Disk Drives Roundup

Started by: TAViX | Date 02/08/11 11:24:35 AM
Comments: 8 | Last Comment:  05/25/11 03:38:19 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-6]

Damn, the green crap surely sucks big time. Even for back-up storage...
0 0 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 02/08/11 11:24:35 AM]

Should add noise tests as well.
0 0 [Posted by: knowom  | Date: 02/09/11 02:09:50 AM]

You can boot GPT drive on a PC/BIOS machine. Only systems based on MS-DOS using MS-DOS bootloader and MS-DOS partition table does not know it. This is the case of all Windows including Windows 7.

Linu? boots GPT drive on PC/BIOS machine normally.
0 0 [Posted by: Next9  | Date: 02/09/11 09:43:50 AM]
- collapse thread

You can't boot a drive > 2.2TB on any Windows 7 PC as a primary MBR drive though unless you have the latest mobo with UEFI (EFI) interface. Chances are most people are using an SSD + large storage drive anyway.
0 0 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 02/09/11 06:29:56 PM]

That is exactly what I wrote about! There is one important and wrong statement in the article:

"...the standard BIOS cannot work with GPT partitions. That is, the OS will see such partitions, but must be installed on an MBR one for the computer to boot it up. It is only computers with the mentioned EFI (instead of BIOS) that can boot up from GPT partitions but EFI mainboards are very few as yet..."

This is bullshit. BIOS can work with GPT. In fact, BIOS can work with any partition scheme, if the first 440B of the drive contain beginning of the bootloader. It is only Microsoft fault, that Windows in 21st century boots like MS-DOS and use obolete MS-DOS partitioning scheme (containing only 4 partitions up to 2TB in the table). Blame Windows, not BIOS. Other OSes can boot GPT on BIOS machine.
0 0 [Posted by: Next9  | Date: 02/09/11 10:37:20 PM]

Yes, add noise tests please.
Performance is good to know but first I want silence
0 0 [Posted by: kroks  | Date: 02/10/11 03:43:48 AM]

Cannot wait for test with ALL 3TB drives out there, except the green goblin from WD which is good only for backup and stuff.

Also, I agree for noise tests. But you need to fill those monsters wit billion of small files in order to test in properly. Please, for next time.
0 0 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 02/21/11 05:13:11 AM]

Great review AND my Hitachi received good reviews. I just purchased one for about $150.00 and I am considering buying 5 more! I am a bit worried about them having 5 platters though...
0 0 [Posted by: FF7h  | Date: 05/25/11 03:38:19 AM]

[1-6]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment