Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Contemporary Graphics Cards in Crysis 2

Started by: GavinT | Date 04/24/11 03:49:44 PM
Comments: 12 | Last Comment:  07/04/11 04:11:19 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-8]

AMD based cards are currently noticeably slower than their Nvidia based ones...

Nothing to do with the title being an nVidia "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" title then...?

You also don't mention what Catalyst Application Profile (CAP) you used with the AMD cards. Catalyst 11.3 CAP3 allegedly improves the performance of the cards and resolves flickering. And yes, you can apply CAP's to single cards.
0 0 [Posted by: GavinT  | Date: 04/24/11 03:49:44 PM]
- collapse thread

Good point, GavinT

On the other hand the game engine has been submitted for ATI engineers scrutineering since it has no problem running on Xbox 360, which by accident is being powered by an outdated, but never the less, ATI made graphics chip. No one can forbid AMD or Nvidia to make fast drivers and TWIMTBP program is not only about getting a head-start, if you know what I mean.
0 0 [Posted by: Yaroslav  | Date: 04/25/11 09:53:25 AM]

The video card categories are quite unbalanced.

The Geforce GTX570 is a direct competitor to the Radeon HD6970 so it should be in the Premium category.

The Radeon HD6850 is signficantly cheaper than the other cards in the Performance Category, a GTX460 1GB is its direct competitor but you haven't tested one in this article.
0 0 [Posted by: kalelovil  | Date: 04/25/11 04:22:18 AM]
- collapse thread

kalelovil, the problem with "categories" is that they change over time (fast) and from country to country. It is very hard to make a perfect chart that would suite everyone. Currently we are seeing massive price wars regarding AMD Radeon HD 69x0 and GeForce GTX 570 graphics cards.

The philosophy behind categories used was that premium class is the fastest you can get out of either a dual or a single chip sporting solution.

We shall try to remember you suggestion in the future though. Thanks for the tip!
0 0 [Posted by: Yaroslav  | Date: 04/25/11 09:58:53 AM]

Just a comment on FPS and playability. From the 12 (min) FPS shown for 1920 x 1080, you might think that the HD 5770 can only barely cope with the game. But I have a 5770 and run the game at 1920 x 1200 on the highest graphics setting, and there is not even a hint of a slowdown. I do have a fast (3.8GHz) quad-core CPU, and I don't know how much that figures into this. But past experience (e.g. with Crysis on a much older PC) has made me think that even minimum framerates down around 7 FPS won't prevent you from enjoying a game, as long as the average is 20+ FPS.
0 0 [Posted by: Papoulka  | Date: 04/25/11 07:28:27 AM]
- collapse thread

Thank you for your interest in our article,Papoulka.

No one is saying that it is impossible to run the game, and speaking about Radeon HD 5770 in the review, we have underlined that it does perform the task adequately. But please keep in mind that when you are aiming at a target, you want as much fps as possible, so the scope will follow in smoother motion, thus improving your accuracy. Some people may be satisfied with 30 fps others will scream for more than a 100. A matter of taste, to some extend, but as a general rule FPS genre video games are expected to be played at 60 fps, at least on PCs.
0 0 [Posted by: Yaroslav  | Date: 04/25/11 10:06:30 AM]

Crysis 2 loves Nvidia.
0 0 [Posted by: beck2448  | Date: 04/25/11 08:42:12 AM]
- collapse thread

There is a formula for that:

X loves Y
where x= ati or nvidia
y = brand the fan boy dislikes
0 0 [Posted by: shaolin95  | Date: 04/25/11 10:39:48 AM]

Excellent performance review of the game. Look forward to your revisit of the game once the DX11 patch ships. Since the game is already fairly demanding for single GPUs in DX10, under DX11 it will likely reduce the performance even more (not to mention the possibility of extreme Tessellation courtesy of NV's $2 million "investment".
0 0 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 04/25/11 10:51:37 AM]

" All in all the game is a solid performer with impressive graphics scenery that is going to take some time equaling."

Google: Battlefield 3
0 0 [Posted by: LedHed  | Date: 04/25/11 04:00:51 PM]

I finished this game yesterday (patched to v 1.2).It doesn't look as good as the previous versions, but makes up for it in pure excitement.Not at all sorry I payed for it.
BTW. I played it using 2 HD 5770 in cf,not once did they struggle in extreme mode.

0 0 [Posted by: Seraphim401  | Date: 04/26/11 11:47:20 AM]

From the page 6:

"It uses a lot of DircetX 10 shaders as well as advanced ray tracing model and soft shadows"

Ray Tracing? LOL Stop smoking that.
0 0 [Posted by: elpesado  | Date: 07/04/11 04:11:19 PM]

[1-8]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment