Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Not Survived: Failed Technologies of the Decade

Started by: shaolin95 | Date 12/30/09 03:24:12 PM
Comments: 10 | Last Comment:  03/03/10 07:16:49 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-6]

The fact that consumers went with an unfinished format filled with bugs like Bluray vs a cheaper, just as good (dont give me the size crap again) and fully working format like HD-DVD shows how stupid j6p can be and how easily a big name like sony and can bully and brain wash them...oh well, at least the freakin format war is over.
0 0 [Posted by: shaolin95  | Date: 12/30/09 03:24:12 PM]

Rambus, not a surprise.

Hmm, what about those modular laptop graphic cards? I think they were called MXM or something like that. I haven't seen it grow at all.

And it's too bad PhysX is all locked up in green . . . *sigh*
0 0 [Posted by: RtFusion  | Date: 12/30/09 05:48:53 PM]

Very nice article guys! I am mostly agree with you, except for the HD-DVD vs. BluRay, which I agree with Shaolin95; it's not because BluRay is better than HD-DVD, in fact, I believe HD-DVD overall was better than BluRay, but the pressure from Sony made them loses the war.

Oh and also, I have those ViewSonic CRT pictured in the last page and I would say, it's the best CRT I've bought, and I will still use it for many years to come!
0 0 [Posted by: Chocobollz  | Date: 12/31/09 12:58:17 AM]
- collapse thread

We did not say that BD was better than HD DVD back then.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 12/31/09 02:58:35 AM]

I think the main reason the HD-DVD died was because it was easily pirated back in the day. Not really a good thing for movie studios.
0 0 [Posted by: PFX  | Date: 02/07/10 08:51:16 AM]

Although I have seen similar "failures of the decade" lists lately it seems this one is on point.

The Shuttle XPC systems were very popular earlier in the decade but their biggest problem now is that they didn't adjust their prices when everyone else went lower. They were still charging well over $400 for the basic XPC case and motherboard combo. Small size is not a luxury. NewEgg barely carries any Shuttle XPC stock at this point.

The PDA wasn't a failure of the decade. It was extensively used in the early part of the decade and the beginning of the smart phone technology used everywhere today. I'm at least glad that they are all but phased out as I hated all the different sync agent installs I had to do.

I don't agree with BTX being a failure. Sure, it was created simply because P4 architecture was scalding hot but there are many currently available OEM PCs (Dell, HP, etc) that use the design in it's desktops today.
0 0 [Posted by: JonMCC33  | Date: 12/31/09 07:26:45 AM]
- collapse thread

they use BTX styled case's with ATX components
so they can skimp on using a proper case with proper cooling
0 0 [Posted by: Athlonite  | Date: 01/05/10 09:01:50 PM]

Well, PDAs are coming back in the form of tablets. Just like in the aughts, we'll have a notebook, a cell phone and some kind of a device that is supposed to take the best from both worlds. In fact, I expect the new tablets and e-book readers to merge rather quickly (subject to development of e-ink technology) and then the question will be whether they will become one with smartphones.

Those companies hardly use BTX, they just use proprietary things they can afford...
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 01/06/10 02:42:13 PM]

Also mouse with old school ball is now a rare thing. Even the lowest cost mices are laser technology
0 0 [Posted by: ericappla  | Date: 01/08/10 09:58:30 AM]

I would have put OS/2 in there. That was a great operating system and IBM blew it, too bad they won't respond the petitions to open source some of the code...
0 0 [Posted by: jdeb  | Date: 03/03/10 07:16:49 PM]

[1-6]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment