Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
IPS and FullHD Bundle: NEC MultiSync EA231WMi Monitor Review

Started by: TAViX | Date 03/19/10 08:07:26 PM
Comments: 3 | Last Comment:  04/15/10 07:50:08 PM

[1-3]

So in other words, this monitor is a complete CRAP for it's price. 14ms seconds r.t.??? Yeah, try to play a game or fast action movie on that...I don't know why they still using those crappy panels instead of S-IPS???. For that price you can find an S-PVA Panel that is almost as fast as a TN and with the sharpness and color clarity as IPS ones...
0 1 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 03/19/10 08:07:26 PM]

Regarding the ECO-Mode:
I don’t understand why the developer decided to link one feature to another in such a way.

There's a very simple reason: becasue it's perfect the way it is!
I've been using mine since a half year and initially I couldn't figure out how to set the min/max values for the automatic brightness adjustment. So I just left it at the brighter ones of the 2 ECO modes. And after a month or two I realized that I've never felt the need to adjust its brightness, be it lunch time on a sunny day or midnight with dimmed ambient light. It just works, and the brightness adjustment steps are so gentle you almost never notice them.

And regarding the response time: there are absolutely no visible artefacts in games or movies, so I don't care if TN panels can do 2 ms. It doesn't make a difference for me. However, what does make a huge difference is that the NEC "lacks" response time compensation. This is great!
My previous Viewsonic had a compensated PVA panel. When I switched to a wireless mouse I could feel the input lag painfully even during regular work, whereas the mouse worked just fine on TN panels. The EA231WMi is completely free from this problem. So I certainly prefer a slightly longer response time and no compensation over any other high quality panel with compensation.

And for the price the image quality is just excellent. Here you can get a (size-)comparable TN for 150 to 250€, whereas the EA231WMi can be had for 330€. S-IPS is in a complety different league, starting at 500 - 600€.
And my NEC easily provides the best image quality of all screens that I see "out in the wild". If people could see this difference live I could imagine them spending 75 - 150€ more compared to a TN panel. The advantage is simply amazing. However, I can not see them spending another 200 - 300€ for another slight improvement in the form of an S-IPS or whatever.
0 0 [Posted by: sanity  | Date: 04/11/10 06:06:44 AM]

@TAViX,It was never meant to be a gamer's monitor, so why even bother to make this point?

And then there are the other whiners, who expect perfect performance at this price level. It's not a wide gamut monitor and you knew that before buying it. As for uneven color there are monitors that cost twice as much and have this problem.

Get real people.
0 0 [Posted by: Aristide1  | Date: 04/15/10 07:50:08 PM]

[1-3]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment